LR Hunting Scope Decision

Techshooter19

Looking into a LR hunting scope for this upcoming season and I'm kicking around the XTRii, Veracity, and the Sig Tango 4. Looking at 4-16/20ish or more. I'm wondering if anyone has looked through them and can tell me what they like and don't like. Pics are appreciated. I'm open to suggestions in the $1000 range but I don't really care for Vortex or Athalon. Two priorities are mechanical reliability and brightness at dusk/last light.

I guess depends on your needs I cannot personally use a FFP scope or I would try the Burris but Sightron makes great outfits check them out .

Looked at some of the same scopes you mentioned. In the end I took the advice of several on here and found a NightForce NXS used in great shape. I bought it on these forums in fact. Love the scope in every way. It was a little more that what your budget is but I felt since I bought used if I didnt like it I could get my money back out of it. Its only 6 months or so but its not going anywhere! I love my setup.

Looking into a LR hunting scope for this upcoming season and I'm kicking around the XTRii, Veracity, and the Sig Tango 4. Looking at 4-16/20ish or more. I'm wondering if anyone has looked through them and can tell me what they like and don't like. Pics are appreciated. I'm open to suggestions in the $1000 range but I don't really care for Vortex or Athalon. Two priorities are mechanical reliability and brightness at dusk/last light.

You'd be making a mistake to not have a look at the Bushnell LRHS before making your decision.

John

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at the Bushnells and they are just not my cup of tea. I've been looking around for awhile and the NXS would be stretching the budget because I also need a range finder, most likely a Sig Kilo. This just a hunting rifle for while I'm in college. The full blown customs will come and they'll have all kinds of better things on them.

The 4-20 Burris XTR II is pretty good. Decent glass, good features, awesome reticle in the SCR. The 5-25 is not nearly as clear above 20x, so you might as well stay with the 4-20 in my opinion. Great warranty too.

You can also look at the SWFA 5-20x50. Mine is quite a bit clearer than my Vortex Gen I Razor and the Burris XTR II 4-20. Features are somewhat lacking though. Used ones go for $1K quite often.

For the cheap price tag, the Weaver Tactical isn't too bad. I don't own one, but have looked through them.

A used Vortex Razor Gen I would fit the bill if you can find one for the $1K price tag. Features are great, built like a tank, good warranty.

I am not a NF guy. And I prefer a FFP scope vs. the NF NXS SFP. I have looked at the ATACR F1 FFP, and they are pretty good, but for that kind of money, I think there are quite a few better options.

OK. How about $1250 for both. Pick up a lightly used Zeiss Conquest with target turrets(about $650 with rings). Now pick up a lightly used Leica 1600(about $600). These should be like new. They are tried and true. Something you will keep instead of upgrading in a few years.

The scope will be on the rifle for the life of it and I'll never get rid of either. A new XTR is around $1100and a new Kilo is sub $450. I've also had problems with Zeiss not tracking correctly, more than once with different rifles.

+1 on a Nightforce SHV. I have the XTR and Veracity and am not a fan. Neither of those would be in my list. I would take an Athlon over those two any day. If the bushnell isn't your cup of tea, I would hold out for a used NF NXS, a NF SHV, and used Vortex Razor Gen I in that order. Eat another months worth of Top Ramen :D You should be used to it!

Good luck. Been there myself!

Not so much "issues" as just not impressed. For the price, I expected better glass and much better turrets. I find the top 1/3rd of the power range of the glass on both the XTR and Veracity to get quite dark/cloudy, and the turrets just don't have a feel I like. They feel very cheap and fragile to me (not saying they are). I still have them and use them on coyote and prairie dog guns. For the money however, I think there are better options. I have several of their generic hunting 3-9 scopes, and have been very happy with those however. I have found them to be bombproof. I fell off and rolled down a clearcut with a Fullfield II and I was bleeding and my rifle a mess, and the scope took it like a champ with some direct rock hits. I understand that is not the type of scope you are looking for, but wanted to show I'm not Burris bashing. I was just not impressed with the Veracity and XTR scopes. I would buy a used NF NXS or a SHV over them if I did it again. Just my .02. Others may have completely different experience.

Lastly, I'll add if you have never had great optics, you may not even notice these things (not trying to come off as a dick, I didn't have great optics until 8 years after college...people have budgets). In other words, these may be an improvement over your current glass and they may be very good for you and your purpose for this build. But, if you had the opportunity to play with some side by side against some of the recommendations given in this thread, you would see the differences. Not sure if that makes sense? It makes sense in my head!

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing. I understand your last point very much so. I have two Leupolds back home that made last light at like 7, dad's rifles and he won't let me buy one from him though lol. I've looked through Bushnell, NF, a few Vortex and I've shot with others others like Zeiss, Nikon and Redfield. I just like to have as much info as possible. I compared a Veracity, Viper PST, and a Nikon, 12x or 14x if I remember, at the same power and I could pick out the hairs on the mount 60 yards away with only the Veracity. I was looking through shade, light, and then shade again The clicks on the Burris are on the soft side of what I like but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.