LR "huntin" bullet for lr deer in 6x284

carverelli

LR \"huntin\" bullet for lr deer in 6x284

I'm working up loads for my 6-284 using Sierra MK's but was wanting to use a tougher bullet for game. Are there any LR (high B.C.) bullets out there that will stand up to meaga velocity and whack a deer without blowing up?

Re: LR \"huntin\" bullet for lr deer in 6x284

Swift just came out with a 95gr scirocco bullet in 6mm, I am sure that one would be tough as hell

Good Luck
Steve

Has anyone tried the 115 Tubb bullet for deer yet?
MV in the XP is 2750 with the 115 Tubb.

With a 240 Wby 1-10 twist

85 gr blue meanie weenie from Barnes
85 gr speer boattail hunting bullet

Kills deer and does not blow up nor splatter meat all over the country side. I haven't shot any does so these are all bucks I have shot and had good results. (The real truth is very small bucks, but don't tell anyone)

If they will hold up in my fast 240 I think they will be allright in you slow 6-284. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want more BC you can move up to the speer 100 gr gameking. They group well at 500 yds. I am going to try them out this year I think, depends on what kind of mood I am in when November rolls around.

BC on the scirocco is .419 and it is a 90 gr not 95, sorry.

They are some of the toughest bullets made so keep them in mind. they will expand but I would not ever expect on to come apart on you.

Good Luck
Steve

[ QUOTE ]
With a 240 Wby 1-10 twist

85 gr blue meanie weenie from Barnes
85 gr speer boattail hunting bullet

Kills deer and does not blow up nor splatter meat all over the country side. I haven't shot any does so these are all bucks I have shot and had good results. (The real truth is very small bucks, but don't tell anyone)

If they will hold up in my fast 240 I think they will be allright in you slow 6-284. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Slow 6x284 Bull Sh--. The Books are wronge written by Lawyers. My 6x284 can push a 87gr V-Max at 3,600 easily. Its faster than any 240 Free bore weatherby.I think this is a topic for the X files.
If you want more BC you can move up to the speer 100 gr gameking. They group well at 500 yds. I am going to try them out this year I think, depends on what kind of mood I am in when November rolls around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron Worker

Here is the question

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any LR (high B.C.) bullets out there that will stand up to meaga velocity and whack a deer without blowing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

The two bullets I mention have performed for me several times each "without blowing up".

What is wrong with 100 gr Nosler Partitions? I challenge any round to blow-up one of these. Try them out, it cant hurt. The 85 gr NP are more accurate out of my 243 than any other 85 gr pill (87 gr VMAX waiting to test) and they are strangely 200 fps faster with the same charge.

44.5 gr H414 85 gr Sierra HP - 3218 fps - .57" ctc @ 100 yds
44.5 gr H414 85 gr Nosler Partition - 3420 fps - .42" ctc @ 100 yds and 1.1" ctc at 200m

I just have not shot them in my 240Wby. I would assume that they work in it. They worked great in 25-06, 270 Wby, 7mmWby. I just have not shot a deer with them in 243 caliber so only spoke to what I have actually done.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.