LOWEST 30 MM SCOPE SET UP

Clay Target Guy

I am trying to mount a 44 mm objective 30 mm main tube onto a Remington long action and would like to have 20 MOA in the rail/base/ring set.
I have one the gun a 20 MOA rail right now and with the rings (.835) I have a little over a 1/4" between the objective and the barrel. I would like to get down closer to 1/8"-3/16" of an inch.
What is everyone else using as I can't be the only one that has run into this? I know if I went to a bigger objective like a 52-56 mm this set up would work fine, but I want to use the Zeiss V4 scope that I have on this gun.
Thanks for the help in advance

if that height would 'work fine' with a bigger obj, it'll work 'just as fine' with the 44mm, since the the scope height stays the same. If you just don't like the looks of a little space under the obj bell, that's another story.

What I meant by "it would work fine" is that I don't think I would be able to get the scope closer to the barrel. Sense I am using a 44 mm, I would like it closer so I don't have gap.

Seekins medium/vortex PMR low =0.87"
Seekins low = 0.82"
ARC extra low = 0.79"

Worry more about what is comfortable when you shoulder the rifle more than what looks the coolest.

Seekins medium/vortex PMR low =0.87"
Seekins low = 0.82"
ARC extra low = 0.79"

Worry more about what is comfortable when you shoulder the rifle more than what looks the coolest.

Thanks, I will check out the ARC extra low. Not worried about cool, just trying to get a good check weld without having to add something to the comb to get it.

Yeah that seemed like an insult and I didn't mean it to be, which is why I included the heights first. Those ARCs are fantastic rings, they are some of my favorites

if the cheek weld is too high with a 44, it will be the same with a 50/56, assuming same ring height. So much for your would 'work fine' theory.... just admit it, it's all about 'looks'......

if the cheek weld is too high with a 44, it will be the same with a 50/56, assuming same ring height. So much for your would 'work fine' theory.... just admit it, it's all about 'looks'......
Maybe I was not clear in my first post or something, just trying to get the scope lower and make it easier to get behind.
If I were using a bigger objective, I would have to live with the ring height, and a bad check weld. Sense I am not using that big of an objective, why would I live with the gap and a bad check weld.
Looks has nothing to do with it.

I am trying to mount a 44 mm objective 30 mm main tube onto a Remington long action and would like to have 20 MOA in the rail/base/ring set.
I have one the gun a 20 MOA rail right now and with the rings (.835) I have a little over a 1/4" between the objective and the barrel. I would like to get down closer to 1/8"-3/16" of an inch.
What is everyone else using as I can't be the only one that has run into this? I know if I went to a bigger objective like a 52-56 mm this set up would work fine, but I want to use the Zeiss V4 scope that I have on this gun.
Thanks for the help in advance
50mm will be closer to the barrel or dont use the 20moa rail

Not everyone has a great big giant head and a Dick Tracy jawline; which means they can mount a scope lower and get a more comfortable cheek wield. I think the OP is looking to mount his scope something like this. Although he may be able to use lower rings than I did because of the AO on my old scope.
T9zaDJkl.jpg

I just went through the same scenario mounting a LHT with a 42mm obj to a Nosler M48 which is a 700 clone. I gave up trying to use a canted rail and went with Talley low ring/base combo's. Put the scope exactly where it needed to be and can still dial the scope over a 1000 yards without the canted rail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.