lower velocity/energy limit MK performance on big game

sscoyote

Haven't been here in awhile, but i'm back now. Does anyone have any idea what is the lowest velocity or energy limit at which i can still expect adequate expansion characteristics from the matchkings?? Also, how do the Hornady match bullets stack up to the MK's for performance on game??

SS

Which caliber you shooting?

I think a standard minimum velocity of 1200 to 1450 FPS is desirable and with a minimum energy level of from 800 to 1000 Foot Pounds with good high BC bullets.

This would be for the 6.5, 7mm and also the 30 and 338 bullets.

I have seen MK bullets kill and expand with less then what I listed above though.

Some might think the bullet was tumbling at a lessor velocity but, the exit hole in the animals that the bullet did not expand very much in was nice and round and about the size of a quarter.

The MK bullets when expansion is great will be about the size of a volly ball when hit at 1000 yards and with the 338/416 Rig. Improved. At the same yardage with 7mm 168 gr MKs out of a 7/300 Weatherby or the 142 Gr MK out of the 6.5/300Weatherby will be about the size of a grapefruit. The same with a 200 gr to 220 gr MK from a 30/378.
The 240 Gr MK tears a very impressive hole in game also as has been posted here last hunting season.

Not sure which bullet your asking about though.

We used to use the 140 Gr Hornady match bullets in our 7/300 Weatherby's and they seemed to disintigrate when shoulder hits were made on deer. The jackets were VERY thin on the Hornady match bullets at that time. I would not use them on elk at all.

Later
DC

Darryl, I'm thinking about my 6.5-284 XP pistol. I'm getting 2900+/- with the 129 gr. Horn. SST. There is aplace where we elk hunt that will allow for 6-700 yards across a valley into a north-facing sparsely treed slope where they hang out. If i can get the vel. up with a 140 MK, i think i can get across that valley with sufficient energy/vel. to do the job. I'm thinking 27-2800 m.v. with that MK out of a 16" barrel.

Hello SS

At the velocities you gave, at "700 yards" for both bullets you will have remaining velocity and Foot pounds of energy left of;

A. 129 Gr----1683 Velocity---812 Foot Pounds
B. 140 GrMK--1704 Velocity---903 Foot Pounds

Hope you have the correct twist to work with the 140 Gr, if not the 129gr will do.

The mule deer that Ray killed in Colorado last year at 1800 yards, the bullet had slowed down to a energy level of 800 foot pounds.

From what I read in the game laws, the minimum caliber allowed in Colorado for big game is a 243, you should do fine with the 6.5 when placing the shot well.

Good Luck
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.