Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Obviously you did not read over the hole thread. They are not running the case at max pressure. Thats how they are getting low recol and over 3000 rounds out of a barrel. 130 vld's going 3250. You can't win the Hide cup if you can't spot your own hits out to 1100 yards. They have no kick.

BS, a 130 gr bullet at 3250 fps in a lightweight rifle does have recoil. I don't think the OP is engaged to George.

recoil is a result of velocity and bullet weight. You can download a 300 win to lower than 30 06 velocitys and recoil. You can load a 308 lower than this so on and so on etc. Stock design and muzzle brakes also tend to reduce recoil and how the rifle handles respectively. Out of the rifles that I have built for smaller framed females I have learned that recoil is only half of the issue to flinching or worse, not enjoying the sport of shooting or hunting. ADVISE Build a 7mm08 and load it with some Barnes 100 gr bullets.22 to 24 in barrel to keep the blast further away, shorter barrels especially with brakes pressure the senses and induce flinch. MAG NA PORT the barrel, have the 6 port done. Use cfe223 powder with good brass. Go have fun More killing power than any other mentioned cartridges and easy expandable for larger game once she gets into the sport. You can download but you always reach a point that you can not upload any more.gun)

recoil is a result of velocity and bullet weight. You can download a 300 win to lower than 30 06 velocitys and recoil. You can load a 308 lower than this so on and so on etc. Stock design and muzzle brakes also tend to reduce recoil and how the rifle handles respectively. Out of the rifles that I have built for smaller framed females I have learned that recoil is only half of the issue to flinching or worse, not enjoying the sport of shooting or hunting. ADVISE Build a 7mm08 and load it with some Barnes 100 gr bullets.22 to 24 in barrel to keep the blast further away, shorter barrels especially with brakes pressure the senses and induce flinch. MAG NA PORT the barrel, have the 6 port done. Use cfe223 powder with good brass. Go have fun More killing power than any other mentioned cartridges and easy expandable for larger game once she gets into the sport. You can download but you always reach a point that you can not upload any more.gun)

you are incorrect. Recoil is from the results of bolt thrust per square inches of area of the case head and a ratio of that to the actual weight of the rifle. The bullet as it hits the rifeling actually pushes the rifle forward off your shoulder for an instant. That's why most belted magnum cases have roughly 20% more recoil under similar chamber pressures and with the same bullet.
gary

another vote for the .25s. Either the 250 sav or the 257 roberts are about ideal for what your doing.

another round that nobody has mentioned is the 6XC in a fast twist barrel shooting 95 grain plus bullets. I still favor the 250 Savage improved, but this is also a great little round. Even the 6BR would get the job done for 350 yards or less.
gary

The 243 wssm or 25 wssm would be fine candidates and there happens to be one of these for sale on this forum. I have a coworker that let's his granddaughter hunt w/ his 6br, she's 12 so probably light enough recoil and shoots like a laser

The 243 wssm or 25 wssm would be fine candidates and there happens to be one of these for sale on this forum. I have a coworker that let's his granddaughter hunt w/ his 6br, she's 12 so probably light enough recoil and shoots like a laser

WSM cases have become hard to come by these days. Plus they are a true high pressure design with a large case head. Meaning more recoil (probably more than a hot loaded .243). Looking in the Hornaday manual, I see the velocity tobe similar to a .250AI with a 100 grain bullet, but with about 20% more recoil. (similar chamber pressures)

You can easilly load the 6BR to about 2750 with a 100 grain bullet (will actually go a little faster). They are known to shoot extremely well, and are also a very forgiving round. The 6XC is also known to be very accurate, and probably will approach the 2850 fps mark without too much trouble. The 6/250AI will do 3000 fps with a 105 grain bullet, but you start to build up pressure fast at those speeds. Nice thing about the 6BR is that you can get by with a fairly short barrel (22" would be fine) to help keep the weight down and also give you a much better off hand shooting balance.

One other round not mentioned, and is also a knowingly accurate round is the 6x47 based off the .222mag case. It will push a 90 grain bullet to about 2700 fps, and with that small case had, have a lighter bolt thrust. Be one heck of a coyote round as well!
gary

This is turning into a great discussion, and is very helpful for me. Although my list of possibilities seems to be growing and not narrowing down. I am now seriously considering .257 Roberts now. I will most likely keep this gun as a lighter weight mountain type rifle 8 pound range, so some of the more powerful rounds (6.5 SAUM etc.) would most likely be a little to heavy in the recoil department for my specific use.

Keep it simple!!! A 243 will do everything "she" needs to do and "she" will have fun shooting it. You can buy a Savage and not break the bank to boot.

This is turning into a great discussion, and is very helpful for me. Although my list of possibilities seems to be growing and not narrowing down. I am now seriously considering .257 Roberts now. I will most likely keep this gun as a lighter weight mountain type rifle 8 pound range, so some of the more powerful rounds (6.5 SAUM etc.) would most likely be a little to heavy in the recoil department for my specific use.

brother has a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts. Sweet shooting rifle with a good balance to it. If you opt for the Savage Mod. 10, make sure the loaded rounds will fit the mag well OK. They'll work well in a single shot, but have not tried them in a magazine rifle. Most chamber pressures in the Roberts, are in the high 40K's and low 50K psi class. Try 45 grains of AA4350 with a 100 grain Nosler BT for about 2900fps and 46K psi in the chamber.
gary

257 Roberts has all that you have asked for.......
Something else you can do is use a light bullet in your 06 with a reduced load of powder.
With XMP-5744 powder 26-27 gr with a 110gr 308 bullet will get you 1900 - 2033 fps....No recoil.....
luck......

The .257 Roberts is a great older classic round much under rated for what it is capable of doing on deer and varmints. It is also about perfect for a young man or lady to shoot correctly with little recoil. The 6.5x47 Lapua is also a great newer round to consider, high BC bullets, accurate and again low recoil.

If you buy the .257 Roberts I have a Redding type S match die set I'd like to sell, w/ a bushing and I'll through in 200 pieces of once fired Remington brass and 85 117 gr. SST Hornady bullets to get you started.

Either way stick with something a woman will love to shoot, not hate it with every pull of the trigger!

you could order in a Savage .257 Roberts AI barrel, and still shoot factory ammo with it. That way everytime you shot a factory case you get an Ackley or Rockchucker case. This same round has also been done in 6.5mm and 7mm as well. Any of them are fantastic performers. I think somebody has also done a .270 off that 57mm case length, and a 30 caliber too.
gary

You can always try a .300 ACC BLKOUT...you can use .223 rem cases, bullets from 115 grains to 220 grains, has low recoil, velocity from a 16 inch barrel around 2300 FPS with 115 grain bullets, and 1350 ft/lbs of kinetic enegery. If you build an accurate rifle you could stretch its range to about 500 yards. Just something to consider.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.