Low or Meium rings on a browning A bolt.

Porter

I am mounting a scope with a 40mm objective lens on my Browning 300 Win Mag A bolt. I have a picatinny base on it but am having problems figuring out which height of rings I should use. I want to keep the scope as low as I can for a good stock weld. Do you think I could get away with using low rings or should I use medium?
Got any Ideas?

Depends on the ring and scope. I mounted low rings on a Rem. 700 with factory barrel and a Redfield scope. I had min. clearance of the bolt handle at the eye peice. As a matter of fact there is not enough clearance on the eye piece to install a Butler Creek scope cover and work the bolt. The front objective was OK. The low rings will probably fit yours.

I was going to get the Burris Tactical rings with a Konus M30 scope that I am going to try out. If you had a lower bolt throw on your Remington would it all work out the way you wanted it to?

Works fine. I use a neoprene scope coat to protect the lens.

Yes, lower bolt throw would solve the issue.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.