LOP with a vertical grip

Nuclear Worker

Building a chassis rifle for my wife and I read an article that you measure from the crook of your elbow to the 2nd knuckle. That is where you would grab the front of the vertical grip. That is where you pull from not from the trigger. Having a chassis built for my wife and need to get this right before I order. Any help would be appreciated.

I would have her spend some time getting in position behind rifles you have or rifles of friends. Measure the lop of each. Make note of where her body position is a good fit and where it is not. You might even try some closer to the stock of choice in the local gun store.

It is all about body fit, balance in arms and fit behind the scope. Shorter lop can help balance a heavier rifle as long as you can get the optic right.

Building a chassis rifle for my wife and I read an article that you measure from the crook of your elbow to the 2nd knuckle. That is where you would grab the front of the vertical grip. That is where you pull from not from the trigger. Having a chassis built for my wife and need to get this right before I order. Any help would be appreciated.
I find this video very helpful ...

What chassis? Most have adjustable buttstock.

Last edited:
I would have her spend some time getting in position behind rifles you have or rifles of friends. Measure the lop of each. Make note of where her body position is a good fit and where it is not. You might even try some closer to the stock of choice in the local gun store.

It is all about body fit, balance in arms and fit behind the scope. Shorter lop can help balance a heavier rifle as long as you can get the optic right.
That is the problem. It is a chassis build no store has one. And I believe you measure to the front of the vertical grip and not the trigger. Going to call the chassis company today and see what they have to say.

I have found with my chassis rifles/vertical grip, setting up the LOP is best done from a prone position. The other, more upright positions/comfort then seem to fall in place with a proper prone fit. When setting up prone, the centerline of the torso should be in alignment to the barrel/target. Then check for cheekweld/scope height, eye relief, trigger pull, and most importantly general comfort. The single greatest advantage of the the vertical grip is that when shooting from the prone position with the elbow on the ground, the wrist is "straight", and in alignment with the elbow. This affords better shooting control and stability. Alternatively, when shooting in upright positions the straight grip, the elbow/arm is held lower then many would with the more conventional pistol grips. I would personally look to acquire a chassis that enables adjustment of the stock(LOP, Cheek rest, interchangeable grips).
5ABC0B58-1B77-425B-A640-99C95C2ECCFD.jpeg

Yes it has adjustable lop but it is set between certain length. If I need it longer or shorter I need to let them know when I order it.
That is why I provided the video to help you establish a baseline LOP. The reason I ask which chassis is because the adjustability is different. My Oryx chassis uses spacers, and with my XLR chassis, I can make shorter/more extended on the buffer tube. With my XLR, I ordered a shorter tube to give the flexibility from short to long by ~4 inches of travel, not that I ever need it but what comes with it was too long.

.30 LARA 1 of 9.jpg

.257 WBTY Savage 110 LA scoped  5 of 7.jpg

Last edited:
It is a Masterpiece Arms Hybrid chassis. It does have a adjustable lop and cheek riser on it . My concern is if she doesn't fit within the stock adjustment they can make it different when I order. I just not sure how to measure for a vertical grip. It is different than a conventional stock for measuring I believe.

It is a Masterpiece Arms Hybrid chassis. It does have a adjustable lop and cheek riser on it . My concern is if she doesn't fit within the stock adjustment they can make it different when I order. I just not sure how to measure for a vertical grip. It is different than a conventional stock for measuring I believe.
I establish my LOP the same way regardless of stock. Have you called MPA directly for their recommendation?

Prone position can shorten length of pull. For me it is about a half inch or so. I set my scope up at this length since most of my shots are from the prone position.

Length of pull is butt pad to trigger distance. Regardless of chassis or stock in between, it should be similar…..like within 0.5".

Recent Posts