Looking to Start Reloading

I just started reloading last year and bought the Lee Breech lock Challenger kit, and lee dies for my .204 and 7x57, i have the .204 shooting 3 shot clover groups and the 7x57 is getting close. I added a powder trickler, trimmer and a few other odds and ends from different manufactures, i now have red stuff, green stuff and orange. i do like the lee dies better than my RCBS dies.

I'm happy with the RCBS kits. I've used several and all seem to be rock solid and easy to use and take care of. Wait for the sales on a kit and pick one up. I would do competition grade dies if I were to do it over again. Probably go Redding on those.

I would like to get into reloading, mainly a 300 weatherby because I have about 50 cases and the factory ammunition is outrageous. I'd also be reloading some 22-250. What is a good starter reloading set-up?

The best 'starter kit' is buy a reloading book (any book from any manufacturer) and read that first, especially the first couple chapters. Every reloading manual fully explains the procedure so you won't explore why those holes are in the sides of your receiver.......:)

Read first, then buy the tools.

Stick to proven loads and recipes until you learn what you are doing. Fiddling with limited knowledge can be fatal...for you or at least destroy your gun.

But on that note most kits come with their own reloading manual so you'll end up with two if you buy one ahead of time.

There are basic things you need to start with no matter what brand you pick like a press, dies, primer tool, scale. Other things are nice to have but can be done other ways like tumbler, powder dispenser etc

The best 'starter kit' is buy a reloading book (any book from any manufacturer) and read that first, especially the first couple chapters. Every reloading manual fully explains the procedure so you won't explore why those holes are in the sides of your receiver.......:)

Read first, then buy the tools.

Stick to proven loads and recipes until you learn what you are doing. Fiddling with limited knowledge can be fatal...for you or at least destroy your gun.

But on that note most kits come with their own reloading manual so you'll end up with two if you buy one ahead of time.

There are basic things you need to start with no matter what brand you pick like a press, dies, primer tool, scale. Other things are nice to have but can be done other ways like tumbler, powder dispenser etc

Whatever....

Let me put it another way. In today's society and in today's mindset, no one reads directions, most deem directions/instructions as unnecessary and thats all well and good with most anything but explosives. Ignorance and bad reloading practices can kill or injure you, like right now. Why chance it.

My take is buy te book and read the book, any book from any manufacturer and then buy the tools. You can always peddle an extra book on this site, flea bay or Craigslist.

I don't ascribe to (or recommend) any reloading tools other than to say, buy the best you can afford and buy it one time but the book comes before any tools.

Case in point, years ago I bought a Joyce Hornady reloading manual and I read the procedures over and over before getting any tools or components just so I had a basic understanding of the do's and dont's' before I ever embarked on my first reload. I don't load anything Hornady, no brass, no pills, nothing, but Joyce Hornady is a respected in the field, manufacturer of brass as well as projectiles.

I read the book, extracted the knowledge contained therein and eventually sold the book.

I recommend nothing, but the book..... I don't want the responsibility for someone blowing their face up or worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.