Looking to buy Kestrel

I bought the HUD so it would be easier to see my ranging data plus all the other goodies . When trying to connect to my Kestrel 5700 Applied Baltics I had to upgrade to 1.36 firmware using link. I have both the Dongle and cable and connected to a PC through the Dongle and update was easy. It upgraded to an Elite no extra charge. I use Bushnell Conex for range. They go with my Android through blue tooth and they can both be used at the same time. The Applied Ballistics version works very well. I recommend it. I have the Horandy but have not tried it yet. Now need some good weather to try the HUD and chronos some loads

Hey everyone, just thought I would chime in here.

When it comes to the different models in the 5700 Line the following holds true:

5700 Sportsman = 5700 Ballistics model. One in the same.
5700 Applied Ballistics = 5700 Elite model. Again, one in the same.
The only variance is a name change.

Upgrading from a Sportsman/Ballistics model to an Elite only requires this simple upgrade be performed: https://kestrelinstruments.com/cate...te-weather-meter-applied-ballistics-upgrade-1

Please note, you can only upgrade an AB System to an AB System. For instance, you cannot upgrade a 5500 to an AB Elite Engine, or a 4DOF to an AB Elite Engine.

Once upgraded you get:
30 guns instead of 3
10 targets instead of 1
Range Card
Target Card
Ballistic Data Output Screen
Custom Drag Curve Access (Entire Library)
Drop Scale Factor (Calibration at Subsonic)
Zero Offset
Calculation Max Range increased from 4000 yards to 5500 yards.

If you have any questions, or need help with anything send us an email and we will be glad to assist you. [email protected]

I went with the Kestrel 5700 Elite with Bluetooth. I have worked with both the 4DOF and AB software and decided on the AB because of prior success with the APP, more bullet choices, and ongoing updates. Used in conjunction with my TerrapinX for LRH and PRS, it's very easy to use in the advanced mode, and has performed flawlessly. A solid investment!

My vote goes to buying the one that camerland has as that's what I JUST purchased a day ago. I have been on the fence and finding it for that price made me jump on it.

You can upgrade to the Elite for the different between the sportsman which was like $550 I believe to the Elite which is $699. So for $150 you have an Elite. From the research I did (which was a lot before I pulled the trigger) the only real difference is the sportsman is ONLY in tan and you can choose your colors for the 5700 elite.

Worst case scenario you dont like the sportsman, you can EASILY sell it for $300+ online. I dont think having just the sportsman will hold me back at this moment so for the $250 shipped from camerland I jumped on it and quickly!!

I have Hornady/Kestrel 5700 ballistic weather meter with 4DOF and Strsloc Pro on my phone. I store all my rifles on my phone and download to my Kestrel with bluetooth as needed. I don't know how you can beat that setup.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the kestrel elite with the applied ballistics.
You'll be happy. Just make sure you learn how to use it, and know it's limitations ie don't expect to make first round hits out to a mile just because it tells you the wind at your position.

I'm in a similar situation here so help me...

In my mind, there are 3 choices....

1) buy the Kestrel Sportsman from Cameralandny LINK

2) buy a Kestrel d3 and estimate wind....use iPhone app as solver

3) buy Kestrel 5700 elite

I'm a long range hunter and have no interest in transonic or subsonic flight. I can see stretching my rifles legs a bit but still over 1300 fps. I should be able to get to about 1600 yards....too far for me to shoot.

So, with option #1, there is talk about an 800 yd limit....is that just an accuracy limit for 308, or does it block showing results past 800 yds?

#2 seems like too much stuff going on, but the applied ballistics solver is only $30 at the App Store. Still, I'd never get a shot off, IMO.

#3 sounds good, but really, it will only be elite for like a year, then the next more elite model will come out. Again, if I were doing elite shooting, I could see this.

So, is the Kestrel Sportsman the right AB solver for the supersonic shooter out to 1000 yards or a bit more?

Option #1 would be your best bet. There are some extra features that are in the Elite that allow you to make the transonic corrections. They arent in the sportsman. You can still shoot out past 800 yards and it will give you the solutions. Really as far as you could change the input I guess. I know it will go over 1300 yards.

#2 is WAY too complicated if you're gonna be using it for hunting. You WILL let an animal get away.

And option #3 is more money than I personally think you should spend for what you want it to do. But it's your money and I'm not one to tell a guy how to spend his hard earned cash. If you decided you wanted the elite later on you can pay the $100 or $150 difference and get the elite software.

The really only difference between the two is #1, software, #2, the elite comes in different colors.

I'm in a similar situation here so help me...

In my mind, there are 3 choices....

1) buy the Kestrel Sportsman from Cameralandny LINK

2) buy a Kestrel d3 and estimate wind....use iPhone app as solver

3) buy Kestrel 5700 elite

I'm a long range hunter and have no interest in transonic or subsonic flight. I can see stretching my rifles legs a bit but still over 1300 fps. I should be able to get to about 1600 yards....too far for me to shoot.

So, with option #1, there is talk about an 800 yd limit....is that just an accuracy limit for 308, or does it block showing results past 800 yds?

#2 seems like too much stuff going on, but the applied ballistics solver is only $30 at the App Store. Still, I'd never get a shot off, IMO.

#3 sounds good, but really, it will only be elite for like a year, then the next more elite model will come out. Again, if I were doing elite shooting, I could see this.

So, is the Kestrel Sportsman the right AB solver for the supersonic shooter out to 1000 yards or a bit more?
Get the Kestrel with Applied Ballistics, already on it that way you're not fumbling with two different pieces of equipment one may go out on you then you're screwed plus you don't have the time for all that I have had the 4500 for years with Applied Ballistics, and it's a great machine but I also use the gunwerks G7 BR 2 rangefinder to hunt with it is much faster and simpler also has wind correction figures in 5 mile an hour increments and it's customizable to five different rifles

The 800 meter limitation is a Sig Sauer issue, their products will only provide drop information out to 800 yards unless you use them in conjunction with a Kestral Elite. My Sig Kilo 3000 BDX binoculars will provide me with drop data out to 800 yards. If I buy a Kestral Elite and use it to communicate with the binoculars then I'll have the ability to get drop data out to the range of the binoculars (around 5000 yards).

kestral meters with ballistics engines will provide drop data (getting range information from a laser range finder) with the Elite model giving you the greatest range capability using the Applied Ballistics engine.

Thanks guys. Totally agree. In my place in this world, option #3 is nice. Option #2 would leave deer tired of waiting on the shot. Heck, I can see my spotter breaking out a sandwich ad I dial in with 5 tools. They make fun of me with a range card and laser rangefinder as it is now, until the deer drops!o_O

So Doug has option #1 in the mail to me. Seems like a decent deal. I read not many left is why I moved quick.

Thanks guys. Totally agree. In my place in this world, option #3 is nice. Option #2 would leave deer tired of waiting on the shot. Heck, I can see my spotter breaking out a sandwich ad I dial in with 5 tools. They make fun of me with a range card and laser rangefinder as it is now, until the deer drops!o_O

So Doug has option #1 in the mail to me. Seems like a decent deal. I read not many left is why I moved quick.

As to your question about if it's a 800y limit, the answer is no. The sportsman uses AB lite, so there are maths not built into it is the simple answer. As to how limited you are in distance, it's depends at what point the BC becomes critical. There are some truing differences as well, there's no drag scale factor.

How do you make that happen?

The Cameraland web site doesn't provide a way to upgrade.
The Sportsman model was discontinued in 2018 and is no longer supported or sold by Kestral.
It looks like you can download an upgrade, from Kestral, to the basic 5700 firmware for free but you can't upgrade to the Elite model. The difference is that the basic model will provide drop data out to 800 yards but the Elite will provide drop data out to the range of your laser range finder. Also, the Sportsman uses the Hornady 4DOF ballistics computer instead of the Applied Ballistics computer.

I'd buy the 5700 (Applied Ballistics model with Link) if I didn't want to shoot any further than 800 yards and I'd upgrade to the Elite model if I wanted to shoot farther.

I bought a Sporstman thru Cameraland a few months back and called and spoke with Kestrel before I did. They told me I can purchase the upgrade for the Sportsman to the Elite. They told me the Sportsman was just a rebranded 5700 with link that they did for Bushnell to pair with their rangefinder at the time. I hope they were right on that as it was a factor for me in buying it. I haven't gotten around to doing the upgrade yet to find out though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.