Looking for step down from a 7mm

Just got off the phone with Bullets.com. They have 150 boxes of 1000 pcs/box of 284 win norma brass in stock. I didn't ask about the 100 round boxes.

They also said they have a continuing purchase order with Norma. Seems like a pretty reliable source to me. Bullets.com's owner caters to F class shooters and there are many shooters who use the 284 win. If it worries you buy several hundred rounds.

Just got off the phone with Bullets.com. They have 150 boxes of 1000 pcs/box of 284 win norma brass in stock. I didn't ask about the 100 round boxes.

They also said they have a continuing purchase order with Norma. Seems like a pretty reliable source to me. Bullets.com's owner caters to F class shooters and there are many shooters who use the 284 win. If it worries you buy several hundred rounds.

I have been buying Norma 7saum brass from them 2000 at a time. Good stuff!..Rich

I have bought from Bullets.com before. Bullets.com is part of Grizzly Industrial.

Bullets.com®

I noticed it one day when I was searching both sites and realized how similar their sites looked, then I did some more researching, and found out Bullets.com is owned by the same guy that owns Grizzly.

Ok good deal.

Narrowing down to 2 now.

6.5-284 vs straight .284

Would like to get some insight here.

Recoil comparison... Both will be braked. My wife will be using this gun when she hunts. No way she's gonna touch the 7mm. Definitly would go the 140 Vld on the 6.5, .284 probably a 168 or higher but then I'm getting way close to the 7mm bullet etc which wasn't my original thought for a step down.

We will be shooting paper to 1000... Gonna have t rely on you guys on which would be better there.

Let's stick with these two and get some thoughts. I want the easiest to load for and better shooter at 500-1000.

I know I'll have more questions but you guys might answer them before I ask with just a general a/b comparison from someone who knows them both well

Putting a brake on the 7 was the first fix, but got overruled by my Dad. Out of all the stuff we picked out, Mcmillian, jewel, Krieger, stiller, etc. The one thing he said was, NO BRAKE on the Elk gun. Being that we're splitting all this I made my case for it but am letting that go.

After reading some of the post I will try to help us weed some out. I do not want to go a extreme wildcat. One of the post mentioned get a caliber that the brass is commercially made in good quality. That's what I want to do here.

I see the 6.5-284 there, and the .284 seems to be a limited run if Im reading that right... Not sure if I want to dive off into that or not once again, might not have read it right.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I had 6.5x284 Norma build on long action and that lead me to 284 on long action and I don't regret building either. I did put brake on the 6.5x284 Norma so I could see the hits and it was removable.

I think only question between the two is bullet selection. You have good brass for the 284 or you could neck up 6.5x284 Lapua brass.

The owner of Grizzly was also Team Grizzly Captain Shiraz Balolia

Shiraz Balolia « Daily Bulletin

Ok good deal.

Narrowing down to 2 now.

6.5-284 vs straight .284

Would like to get some insight here.

Recoil comparison... Both will be braked. My wife will be using this gun when she hunts. No way she's gonna touch the 7mm. Definitly would go the 140 Vld on the 6.5, .284 probably a 168 or higher but then I'm getting way close to the 7mm bullet etc which wasn't my original thought for a step down.

We will be shooting paper to 1000... Gonna have t rely on you guys on which would be better there.

Let's stick with these two and get some thoughts. I want the easiest to load for and better shooter at 500-1000.

I know I'll have more questions but you guys might answer them before I ask with just a general a/b comparison from someone who knows them both well

I would go with the 6.5 for her. You can drive a higher b.c. bullet faster with less recoil, drop, and wind drift at any reasonable range.....Rich

Leaning toward the smaller of the two basically due to recoil... I like the .284 but not the recoil for the family, 6.5-284 would be a home run but barrel wear is little issue I guess.

With a good brake what would the 6.5-284 and .284 compare to recoil wise.

I guess im a little embarrassed to say, we are both ignorant to Brakes and how much recoil they take out. We have .222, .220 swifts, 223, 6mm, 243, 25-06, .270, .270 wby, and 7mm. All are regular ole rem 700's for the most part, none have brakes.

Braked 6.5-284 would recoil like a ? for example

What about a .284 braked

Both will be around the 9lb range totally rigged out i'd imagine.

Either one braked will be like or less than a 243 Win in recoil depending on the break you use. Average a break will take 80% or so felt recoil away. I always use the ear plugs that you can hear well with but shut down when the gun goes off. I used my buddies 7mm STW once to shoot a deer and I could see the bullet impact through the scope there was so little recoil. I had a light little 308 Win that was custom built on a 700 Rem action with a brake but was about like the Rem 7 and recoil was like shooting a 223. I had a Rem 700 Varmint barrel 25-06 that had been magnaported that I got a real deal on from an estate sale of a fellow that had it magnaported because of heart surgery but latter died. It had NO recoil. It was like a 22lr but you had better have ear protection when shooting it.

Leaning toward the smaller of the two basically due to recoil... I like the .284 but not the recoil for the family, 6.5-284 would be a home run but barrel wear is little issue I guess.

With a good brake what would the 6.5-284 and .284 compare to recoil wise.

I guess im a little embarrassed to say, we are both ignorant to Brakes and how much recoil they take out. We have .222, .220 swifts, 223, 6mm, 243, 25-06, .270, .270 wby, and 7mm. All are regular ole rem 700's for the most part, none have brakes.

Braked 6.5-284 would recoil like a ? for example

What about a .284 braked

Both will be around the 9lb range totally rigged out i'd imagine.

I am just throwing this out there for another option…Being that your 7mm RM and your 270 Wby use the same brass, you already have an existing brass base.

Why do not you just build a gun in .257 with a fast twist? Or see if some one will build you a 6.5mm Wby (short) (non 6.5-300)...

Last edited:
Would like to address one more thing that's pretty important for the gun and that is the muzzle brake. If im spending this money I would prefer a break that's somewhat tuned for the caliber or atleast a little research done with them vs just throwing a catch all on there unless you guys recommend one that's top notch.

Second question is, over at S and S precision, "Stick" and his assistant basically said they build 2 different brakes that they use on their guns. Both around the $200 mark. Money is not the issue but just wondering if im smart to use their brake that they make, or put on a brake that a company makes that specializes in it... I don't want to ruffle any feathers and im sure they would do what i'd want, just don't want to short myself here. I want to setup the rifle best way possible....

What you guys think here.

Being that it will get hunted with I don't want the bottom ported brake I don't think to keep the dust out of our eyes etc. Probably a high quality side brake would be smart I think.

thoughts?

one more thing, I've been reading about brakes not ported all the way around affecting accuracy..... not sure if that's true or not.

Looking at APA brakes right now, not sure if that a good start but shopping around and hope to get some help from you guys.

one more thing, I've been reading about brakes not ported all the way around affecting accuracy..... not sure if that's true or not.

Looking at APA brakes right now, not sure if that a good start but shopping around and hope to get some help from you guys.

I have three of these brakes…they are all caliber specific…and no "bottom" hole…

Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes

All great suggestions for brakes, I would also recommend a Muscle Brake from Ryan Pierce and Piercision Rifles or the Assassin Brake from JE Custom! Both have pretty good followings here on LRH:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.