• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Looking for Savage Small Shank sporter barrel

3darcher2

I'm on my annual search for a small shank Savage barrel or three. Can be a factory or aftermarket. Looking for a 284 Winchester, 257 Roberts or a 264 Win Mag. A distant third would be a 6.5-06 or any other oddballs. Stainless, blued doesn't matter - 22"-26" but really looking for sporter profiles with a total weight under 3.5# absolute max for a hunting rifle, not a bench gun.

Crossing fingers one of these years I'll turn something up.

I think I might have a 6BR, a 6.5 creed and a 7rem mag around that might fit what you're looking for. PM me if you'd be interested in those and I can get you specifics

I think I might have a 6BR, a 6.5 creed and a 7rem mag around that might fit what you're looking for. PM me if you'd be interested in those and I can get you specifics
Thanks, I am pretty specific on those first three for sentimental and practical reasons. My maternal grandpap had a Flaigs 257 built on a 03A3 if I remember correctly. My dad had been shooting it more recently. My dad also had a Sako and Winchester 264 Mag, The Sako was an early rifle right after the 264 came out. My dad passed away two years ago, and my stepmother has retained all the guns against my dad's wishes as they were all to come to me, but there's nothing in writing. I'm particularly cranky about the 257, and it was really my gun from my grandfather but my dad had been shooting it for a long time, he shot that gun a lot with my grandpap as a young man groundhog hunting.

The 284 is just because. I wanted one for years, In all three cases, I have a boatload of brass and bullets, as well as dies and a donor, but no pew pew so it would be just a barrel swap and I am in. As a lefty, a few years ago I found the joys of Savage. It's just too easy to swap. Eventually, I'll run out of other projects and just buy some new barrels but I seem to keep finding other cool used stuff to get involved with. I'm getting older, and this stuff is moving to the top of my priority list.

Thanks, I am pretty specific on those first three for sentimental and practical reasons. My maternal grandpap had a Flaigs 257 built on a 03A3 if I remember correctly. My dad had been shooting it more recently. My dad also had a Sako and Winchester 264 Mag, The Sako was an early rifle right after the 264 came out. My dad passed away two years ago, and my stepmother has retained all the guns against my dad's wishes as they were all to come to me, but there's nothing in writing. I'm particularly cranky about the 257, and it was really my gun from my grandfather but my dad had been shooting it for a long time, he shot that gun a lot with my grandpap as a young man groundhog hunting.

The 284 is just because. I wanted one for years, In all three cases, I have a boatload of brass and bullets, as well as dies and a donor, but no pew pew so it would be just a barrel swap and I am in. As a lefty, a few years ago I found the joys of Savage. It's just too easy to swap. Eventually, I'll run out of other projects and just buy some new barrels but I seem to keep finding other cool used stuff to get involved with. I'm getting older, and this stuff is moving to the top of my priority list.

Gotchya, I know how that goes unfortunately.

If it comes down to it, you could probably get either ragged hole (Wilson blanks) or crown ridge barrel works (x-caliber blanks) to make any one of them for around $350.

I keep a pretty close eye on a lot of places for used savage barrels l and I think I've only seen one 264wm go through. I don't think I've ever seen a used 284 or 257roberts.

I think I have a 6.5x284 but it's a heavy barrel if I remember right.

Good luck in your search!

Gotchya, I know how that goes unfortunately.

If it comes down to it, you could probably get either ragged hole (Wilson blanks) or crown ridge barrel works (x-caliber blanks) to make any one of them for around $350.

I keep a pretty close eye on a lot of places for used savage barrels l and I think I've only seen one 264wm go through. I don't think I've ever seen a used 284 or 257roberts.

I think I have a 6.5x284 but it's a heavy barrel if I remember right.

Good luck in your search!
I passed up a 284 a couple years ago, just bad timing and dumb choice! I live local to ER Shaw, so I might just wind up there.

I am about to pull a X-Caliber, 27" Heavy Sporter off to make room for a 338 Sherman. It is chambered in 6.5x284 Norma with about 380 or so down it. Might be heavier than you are looking for.

Will have brass, dies, and bullets too...

Recent Posts