Looking for pass through

Hi buddy , I. Never. Have a. Exit hole. When . I shoot whitetails. With. My 270 win. Either! 130. Grn Nosler Ballistic. Tips at3030 FPS , come all apart and the. Deer. Die right there ! No. Tracking no. Exit holes , but if I. Did want to. Make an exit. Hole , I wound. Try the. Nosler partitions! I would. Expect they would. Shoot. Right through a deer !!

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I have shot hammer 124's out of a creedmoor at 2900fps and didn't get an exit wound a slightly quartering mule deer at 224 yds. I have however had exit wounds on 10+ deer using the Sierra 130HPBT GameKing ranging from 45yds to 257yds. A monolithic bullet alone doesn't guarantee an exit wound. I will say that shot placement, twist/velocity etc will determine exit wounds.

6.5mm bullets that you would expect to exit but haven't for me. 160 Hornady RN, 124 Hammer, 140 Speer Gold Dot
6.5mm bullets that have always exited. 110 hammer, 130HPBT gameking, 130 gamechanger
I would like to hear more on the 140gr Speer Gold Dot performance you observed, my son and a friend both took mule deer bucks this season and both were pass throughs, one in the crease and the other in the thick of the neck. Both deer were in the 300 yard range and taken with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
Nosler Accubond long range 129 grain will do it! I've used them on dozens of deer and antelope never recovered one yet.

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
I've had a Nosler Partition pass through and drop one deer and spine one that was behind it, but I would still take the Barnes LRX at the range of less than 500 yds.

I've had a Nosler Partition pass through and drop one deer and spine one that was behind it, but I would still take the Barnes LRX at the range of less than 500 yds.
My 125 gr partition load was 47 grs of H 4350 with a cci 250 mag primer until I tried the 124 gr Hammer that bullet will out penetrate and and leave every thing scrambled in between before exiting if the deer runs just look in the direction he went he won't be far

If the projectile expends all of its energy in the animal then it's doing the right thing. With my CZ 6.5 x 55 I use Hornady 123gr SST projectiles with hand loads around 2850 fps. This cartridge is far better than people give it credit for.

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I have shot hammer 124's out of a creedmoor at 2900fps and didn't get an exit wound a slightly quartering mule deer at 224 yds. I have however had exit wounds on 10+ deer using the Sierra 130HPBT GameKing ranging from 45yds to 257yds. A monolithic bullet alone doesn't guarantee an exit wound. I will say that shot placement, twist/velocity etc will determine exit wounds.

6.5mm bullets that you would expect to exit but haven't for me. 160 Hornady RN, 124 Hammer, 140 Speer Gold Dot
6.5mm bullets that have always exited. 110 hammer, 130HPBT gameking, 130 gamechanger
I have had Federal Fusion 140gr pass through neck and double-lung on two different kudu bulls at 200yards with CZ Swede.
Pass throughs on warthog, fallow deer and springbok at 150 - 250 yards
Would love to buy Hammers, but at 15 S African Rand to 1dollar, it becomes very expensive.
If I hunted in USA, I would use only Hammers.

If the projectile expends all of its energy in the animal then it's doing the right thing. With my CZ 6.5 x 55 I use Hornady 123gr SST projectiles with hand loads around 2850 fps. This cartridge is far better than people give it credit for.
My Mauser Oberndorf 30-06 built in 1987 in Windhoek Namibia, and which has taken hundreds of African plains Game with SHPBT 165gr and NP180gr , is now well-oiled and standing in my gun safe......Swede rules.

Last edited: