looking for new whitetail & a few western hunts cailber

I enjoy using my 300 Rum for deer and elk. I am comfortable with that rifle and confident with it. Like what was said earlier if they are hit where there supposed to be with correct bullet there will be no meat wasted.
Most people are afraid of the Rum's because of the recoil but I have three and the more I shoot them the more I enjoy them

At some point my whole collection will probably be whittled down to the .260's one high velocity 6.5 like the LRM, my STW's just because I love them, my custom 300 Rum's and custom .375 Rugers.

With any two of the above I can hunt anything in the world with confidence.

I have been hunting whitetail in Arkansas with a 300 weatherby mag for the past 10 years shooting 180 nosler and 185 Berger bullets around 3088 to 3156 fps no problems with over power or out of range only problem is up close less than 100 yards with Bergers they open way to quick. I also have taken alot of deer with my 243 win I would say if you only had money for one rifle get a quality built mag and just hunt with it and shoot as much as you can at the range to get real good and know the gun. Good luck, by the way one of my favorite white tail rounds at 300 yards and less is a 5.56 pushing 77 grainers

I started hunting deer with a 30-06 in a cedar swamp of Northern Michigan. When I moved to Colorado, I bought a 300 WSM to hunt elk and mule deer. THEN I CAUGHT THE RELOADING BUG.....BAD DISEASE AND THERE IS NO CURE!! So, I started buying more rifles in different calibers (243, 6.5 grendel, 6.5-284 Norma, 7 STW, 338 Lapua). I have to say that my 7 STW is probably my favorite "out West" caliber to shoot. It can handle everything in North America. It's my go to for Wyoming,Colorado or New Mexico mule deer and pronghorn. I prefer to stay with 30 cal or bigger when hunting elk, although the STW works very well on them.
I'd look at the 28 Nosler or 7 STW if I were you. That being said, the 300 Win Mag is a fine cartridge and will do everything you want, and it's not overkill

I started hunting deer with a 30-06 in a cedar swamp of Northern Michigan. When I moved to Colorado, I bought a 300 WSM to hunt elk and mule deer. THEN I CAUGHT THE RELOADING BUG.....BAD DISEASE AND THERE IS NO CURE!! So, I started buying more rifles in different calibers (243, 6.5 grendel, 6.5-284 Norma, 7 STW, 338 Lapua). I have to say that my 7 STW is probably my favorite "out West" caliber to shoot. It can handle everything in North America. It's my go to for Wyoming,Colorado or New Mexico mule deer and pronghorn. I prefer to stay with 30 cal or bigger when hunting elk, although the STW works very well on them.
I'd look at the 28 Nosler or 7 STW if I were you. That being said, the 300 Win Mag is a fine cartridge and will do everything you want, and it's not overkill
The .300wm is the Toyota Landcruiser of Magnums. You can go faster for sure but the .300wm is never the wrong answer; unless it's next to an STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.