809 yard western oklahoma whitetail

shiredude

We've had pictures of this guy the last couple years and havent gotten a crack at him, bow or rifle. We've killed his brothers and what we think was his daddy over the years, but this one seemed a bit more elusive.
Opening weekend is always taken up by guiding hunters on the ranch (we normally take 10-15/year). With hunters in stands, I head to a couple vantage points to glass. You can see quite a ways in Western Oklahoma if you're in the right spot.
We first spotted him and 5 doe from well over a mile away. Didnt know it was him, just knew he was worth a good look. I got in the truck and hauled *** to another glassing point that would put me closer.
When we got there, we saw him for about 90 seconds or so before they got in a low spot and disapeared. We knew which deer it was after this look and thought he had got away. 45 minutes later he appeared in a hay field with his female companions and a smaller buck wanting in on the action. We didnt have time to go get one our hunters and attempt a stalk as we were running out of light. He was 1600 yards and we started hoofing it to get closer. Made it to 1300 yards and he seemed pretty content on staying there. I told my buddy I wanted to cut it in half to feel good about trying him. The wind was only 4-7 mph, but it was switching terrible from 9-12 oclock.
We made it to 809 yards and got set up. This buck was horseing around with these doe and was constantly moving around.
shooter: "You ready?"
spotter: "I'm good, send it"
spotter: "Wait, Wa..."
Too late, I had already sent it as he took a couple steps forward.
"HIT" but it was far back, right in the flank area. He trotted about 15-20 yards towards us and I sent another one without redialing. Miss, right over his back.
Chambered another one, he wasnt getting along too good and was just standing there trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
The 3rd one did the trick at 786 yards.
IMG_7066.jpg

This guy was everything we thought he'd be. A 6 1/2 yr old beast!!

7 SAUM on a Surgeon Long Action, Kreiger 1 in 9, McM A-5, Jewel, Premier glass.
180 Berger VLD
Swarovski rangefinder
Swarovski binocs
Leupold spotter

thanks guys.
rifle weighs about 18 pounds with a full mag and bipod.

I packed that heavy sucker around wyoming for 4 days in October. I'm gettin too hold for heavy rifles!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.