Looking for new med-long range scope for 7mm mag

Corvalliscory

I'm wanting some opinions on the best scope for my needs. Been doing alot of research, but still unsure on what I want to go with. I'm looking for something $1100 or less, but that's the high end of my budget. Preferrably $6-900. I'm thinking a 4-16-50 or 3-15-44 or 5-25-50, etc... I'm wanting to shoot 500-800yds, but the ability and adjustment to shoot 1000yds. This is going on a savage 7mm mag that shoots very well and I think i'm going to be shooting some of the new 150gr or 168gr accubonds, which ever shoot better... Thinking of trying out a vortex viper pst 4-16-50 or the new vortex viper hs-t that's supposed to be out soon, or a zeiss conquest hd5 in the wither the 3-15x version or the 5-25x version, or maybe a used huskemaw or something if I can find one. Going to be hunting deer, elk and bear as well as shooting steel plates on occasion. Would love to get some opinions.
Thanks.

im in the same boat, id like to keep it closer to the $500 range but all of them that have what id like on them are closer to $1000.00. i was initially leaning towards leupolds but im liking the vortex scopes the more i read about them. seem to have more options for a lil less money.

Any drawbacks to the zeiss? Seems like a very good scope for the price. I had a 4.5-14-44 conquest and liked it...

zeiss is one of the few ive been looking at. i dont want to start an uproar because i dont have any experiance with the zeiss scopes but ive heard that they arent as tough as some of the others? wondering if theres any truth to that. if its just rumor then one may find its way to the top of my rifle.

also a lot of the guys on here dont like the 1" tubes. i couldnt tell ya one way or the other as 1" scopes are all ive had on my firearms but i also dont normally shoot long range. a 3x9 is usually has plenty of reach for anything your going to be shooting at here in illinois unless your setting up a coyote rifle.

Zeiss Conquest scopes will thoroughly impress you. I was a skeptic years ago, as well....But in '08 I bought one, and have since bought another one. I have no problems in the world buying one. You will enjoy it.

They are tough scopes...Don't let anyone tell you that nonsense...Zeiss scopes are rated to handle more recoil than probably any other scope on the market, next to Nightforce, and a select few high-dollar brands ($3,000+).

There are no drawbacks to anything that says Zeiss on it.

I would never intentionally steer anyone into a wrong direction. You will enjoy the Zeiss scope.

Also, as for the tube size, I have found that Zeiss glass lets in so much light, it is comparable to most other companies 30mm tubes.

Not to be anal but tube diameter has nothing to do with light gathering.lightbulb Amount of travel in the adjustments yes, light no!

thanks, what kind of yardage are the amount of 1" scope elevations good for with the 7mag?

That depends a lot on the rifle, scope and load. Most 3-9x scopes have at least 60 MOA of elevation adjustment. If your rifle gives you half of that for up adjustment from a 100 yd zero, you can get beyond 1,000 yds with a 160 gr Accubond (2,000 ft elevation).

That depends a lot on the rifle, scope and load. Most 3-9x scopes have at least 60 MOA of elevation adjustment. If your rifle gives you half of that for up adjustment from a 100 yd zero, you can get beyond 1,000 yds with a 160 gr Accubond (2,000 ft elevation).

so if the scope has 60 moa, you "should" be able to touch 1000yards with the 7mm mag? sorry for all the newbie questions here, i know i kinda halfassed hijacked the thread.

so if the scope has 60 moa, you "should" be able to touch 1000yards with the 7mm mag? sorry for all the newbie questions here, i know i kinda halfassed hijacked the thread.

Yes.

In your price range, most scopes with 24X mag will have high glare (low contrast), especially when set above 20X. I recommend you look at 14X to 20X on the high end.

In that mag range elevation adjustment will drop to 30-45 MOA. You may get half that in up adjustment, which would get you to at least 650 yds. If you are lucky with boresight misalignment or barrel vibration, or use a 20 MOA base or Burris Signature rings, you could get out to 1,000 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.