Looking for loading data for 300 Win mag.

Leonidas 933

Hey guys, perhaps this question has already been answered but I wanted to see if there is any new reloading data for this rifle and round. Ive just purchased a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win mag and was looking at loading up some Berger VLD 210 grain bullets. Has anyone here already loaded these, and did they work well? Are there any other suggestions for a better load. I want to keep the bullet at least 180 grains and around 2800 fps or higher. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I've been shooting 71grs RL-22 in my savage 300wm on a 26" shilen barrel with the 190 berger VLD. I have them seated about .010 off the lands and get about 2870fps. Last group off bipod with rear bag was one ragged hole. I've had great luck with it shooting steel out to 650yrds. Placed 7 shots as fast I could single load right at about 4.5in. Tried some H4831SC with horrible results. Didn't have a lot of time to work with it so maybe it could work but I'm guessing it would be better with lighter bullets. Looking to try some H1000 and see how that goes.

I shoot 73.5 grains of reloader 25 with a 200 GR SMK I use a federal match primer and my speed is 2892 out of a 26" Mcgowen Match barrel. I load the round as big as my magazine and then run it through a collet die and crimp it. This allows me to use my mag. and still have the accruracy as if it were set in the rifleing. I shoot 1/2 moa with this load and my speed does not spread more that 10 FPS

I have set up many 300 wins with the 210 Bergers. This includes my own and my sons. With H-1000 for powder you shoud be able to get to the 2800 mark and maybe more depending on your rifle. I would start with 70 gr and work up till you get accuracy or see pressure signs. 70 may seem low, but better safe than sorry. I have seen rifles show pressure at 74 gr depending on the rifle, brass, and or powder lot. But I have seen some just fine at 77 gr. .040" off the lands is a good starting point. Once I find the charge weight, I then move the seating depth in and out to see what the rifle likes. Once a direction is found I move in .005" steps to fine tune for the smallest groups at 200 yards. The 300 Win Mag and 210 Bergers make an awesome hunting rifle. My wifle just took her first elk at 415 yards with my rifle last night.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.