Looking for a shooter that dont burn the budget

Kenny Reed

OK , I'm wanting to get a shinny new long range gun, but my budget is limited to $1200 . What is the best set up I can buy for my money . I'm wanting to stick with the .308 just because that's what I like and already have about 2000 Laupa brass and Sierra, and Berger bullets out the but . Any opinions and help would be helpful . Thanks and wish me luck.lightbulb

$1200 total including mounted optics?

Also, are you leaning towards target, tactical, or traditional hunting?

For a target rifle, the Savage 12F/TR may be a good option within your budget. Although, it might be a bit bulky to lug around in the field for hunting.

Good luck!
Richard

$1200 total including mounted optics?

Also, are you leaning towards target, tactical, or traditional hunting?

For a target rifle, the Savage 12F/TR may be a good option within your budget. Although, it might be a bit bulky to lug around in the field for hunting.

Good luck!
Richard
He could also look at the Savage long range hunter, It comes in 308win, and is a .25 moa rifle.

I see now that the 11 LRH is short action including .308 vs the 111 LRH which is long action including the 6.5x284 which I've been eyeballing for a while now. I just hate to let go of my 12F. So, I'll have to save up.

...good stock, adjustable cheek piece, Accutrigger, proper twist, muzzle brake that can be on/off... Great price.

If these are truly .25 MOA as I've seen in multiple reviews as compared to hand picked exceptions, then it sounds like a winning combination.

Thanks!

I see now that the 11 LRH is short action including .308 vs the 111 LRH which is long action including the 6.5x284 which I've been eyeballing for a while now. I just hate to let go of my 12F. So, I'll have to save up.

...good stock, adjustable cheek piece, Accutrigger, proper twist, muzzle brake that can be on/off... Great price.

If these are truly .25 MOA as I've seen in multiple reviews as compared to hand picked exceptions, then it sounds like a winning combination.

Thanks!
If you ever watched Gun Nuts on Outdoor Channel, they shoot the Savage LRH in what looked like 6.5x284 and with corbon ammo. If do go with it you got to post pics of the groups. gun)

You said 12F? Is that the Savage 12FV? If so, get the tools and rebarrel it yourself with a McGowen or Lothar Walther. I am quite pleased with my LW. Throw it in to a B&C Medalist A2 and call it done. Then you will have money left over for good optics.

Tank

You said 12F? Is that the Savage 12FV? If so, get the tools and rebarrel it yourself with a McGowen or Lothar Walther. I am quite pleased with my LW. Throw it in to a B&C Medalist A2 and call it done. Then you will have money left over for good optics.
Tank

I have the 12 F-Class in 6.5x284. It's a great single shot target rifle. And, I more or less wanted to keep it as a target rifle. I was thinking of rebarreling to 6BR just to see what it could do inside 200 yds. I'll look into your suggestion as well.

I also would like to have a nice 6.5x284 as a hunting rifle to compliment several other larger and smaller calibers considering that I have dies, brass, etc... That's why I started eyeballing the 111 LRH. I also happen to have a Kreiger 6.5x284 Palma barrel for a 700 action. But, no action that I'm ready to free up at this time.

Too many projects. Too little $$$.

As for the original post... there are lots of options for 308 Win within your budget such as Savage and Remington. Others such as Steyr make a great out of the box rifle. But, not so easily customizable as with the former makes.

If you're not familiar with the pros and cons of Remington vs Savage, search these forums and you'll find a lot of information.

Thanks,
Richard

OK , I'm wanting to get a shinny new long range gun, but my budget is limited to $1200 . What is the best set up I can buy for my money . I'm wanting to stick with the .308 just because that's what I like and already have about 2000 Laupa brass and Sierra, and Berger bullets out the but . Any opinions and help would be helpful . Thanks and wish me luck.lightbulb
Im just looking for a set up to punch paper, no hunting , I have enough hunting riffles . And I was wanting to include the scope and mounts , I know thats a tight budget but every things tight now days.

Im just looking for a set up to punch paper, no hunting , I have enough hunting riffles . And I was wanting to include the scope and mounts , I know thats a tight budget but every things tight now days.

Kenny,

No apology necessary. We're all on a budget. Some of us are just more tightly constrained.

You should be able to make your budget. But, you need to think about the scope and mounts. That's where used rifles can sometimes help as those items may get bundled in. (I've had some luck on Gunbroker and at gun shows. But, Caveat Emptor)

There's another thread running now discussing econmical scopes...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/need-help-66193/

Good luck!
Richard

you want to get a savage ft-r of equivalent. you will like it. a savage lrpv is a good one. too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.