Looking for a new caliber please help. Lol

Not trying to start a argument in the responses of others in here. But I am considering buying a new rig. Primarily hunting and some target shooting. rifles I have considered are
1.mossberg patriot predato. 2ruger American 3. Rem 700adl sps. 4savage 110. 5. Weather by vanguard meat eater (Howa)
now I own and shoot a savage long range 111 in 300 win mag. Love it. It is heavy. 8+lbs rifle. 2lbs scope. Sling. Ect. Iam really set on a Weatherby. I like the stock from a factory set up and to me it looks and feels great.
but I am kind of set on the 6.5prc. The patriot is lighter at 6.5lbs. Cheap at 400$ and I could thrash it. The 110 savage is 510$. So I could still get a higher quality rifle in 6.5prc that is obtainable. But I have considered these and I want your feed back as to why you choose the cartridge for hunting and some target shooting.
7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
6.5prc (Mossberg or savage )
maybe a 300wsm
Maybe a 6.5 C M (Ruger American)
I live in western oregon. Hunt deer and Roosevelt elk. But I have the 300win mag for the big work and just not Sure what to get next for a lighter rifle and on a somewhat of a budget in the 4-600$ range. Any suggestions ?
also for simple range fun and varmints the 223/5.56 is cheap to feed very light recoil and available in all platforms. In my state it is also legal for deer and I have taken several with it. We have the smaller Virginia strain here and shots of 100 yds or less are common. Do your reasearch and look at reviews before you select your rifle. There are cheap rifles and then there are inexpensive well made rifles. I have not heard good things about the fit and finish of the Mossberg Patriot. The aluminum bedding system on the Savage is intriguing. The tika and cz are solid shooters as well as are the big name brands. In my opinion the one time cost of the rifle is less important than what it will cost to feed it.

I love my Vanguard 25-06. I've been curious to try a 257 WBY, but honestly, the 25-06 may be plenty of medicine, and waaay cheaper to shoot, brass readily available, etc. I also would recommend you look at the Tikka. Go to a store or a gun show and hold the various makes and models and see what fits. At that price range, I would avoid used.

Having the 300 Win Mag already there's no point in getting a 7mm Rem Mag. As other mentioned an 06 based cartridge is just under those.

That said I'd go with a 7mm-08 or a 260, in a Rem 700 or a Tikka T3. I guess I've been lucky that I have not had any issues with the Rem 700's (provably just jinxed myself Lol) Rem 700's are all I own but been thinking of a Tikka for a while now. The 6.5 CM is a good option but the 260 is just better.

Hope this helps and stay safe

I like the Remington rifle (model 700) in any caliber. 223/556 is great caliber. It also cheaper to purchase. | Remington 700 built with 6.8 spc. 24 inch barrel that shoot real good.

The Weatherby Vanguard Sporter falls in your price range. As for the caliber, I would prefer the 30-06 (.308). It weighs 7.5 lbs. less scope. I have always operated on the ideology of "having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it". Granted your WBY 300 MAG is very close to the 06, as are the other calibers your looking at. There is really no significant weight difference in any of the calibers. They are all running in the 7-7.5 lb range. Your .300 Mag is as universal as the 06 and if you want something for range shooting, go with something like a 5.56 like I did. Ammunition is not that costly and fun to shoot.

Not trying to start a argument in the responses of others in here. But I am considering buying a new rig. Primarily hunting and some target shooting. rifles I have considered are
1.mossberg patriot predato. 2ruger American 3. Rem 700adl sps. 4savage 110. 5. Weather by vanguard meat eater (Howa)
now I own and shoot a savage long range 111 in 300 win mag. Love it. It is heavy. 8+lbs rifle. 2lbs scope. Sling. Ect. Iam really set on a Weatherby. I like the stock from a factory set up and to me it looks and feels great.
but I am kind of set on the 6.5prc. The patriot is lighter at 6.5lbs. Cheap at 400$ and I could thrash it. The 110 savage is 510$. So I could still get a higher quality rifle in 6.5prc that is obtainable. But I have considered these and I want your feed back as to why you choose the cartridge for hunting and some target shooting.
7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I live in western oregon. Hunt deer and Roosevelt elk. But I have the 300win mag for the big work and just not Sure what to get next for a lighter rifle and on a somewhat of a budget in the 4-600$ range. Any suggestions ?

When I buy a rifle I buy what I like. No disrespect to anyone but I'm the one shooting it so I pick a rifle I like the look and feel of, if it don't look and feel good to me I'm not going to like it no minder what any one says. Same with cartridge/caliber, I look at what I'm wonting and the ballistics and chose the one that really drawls me to it.
So with all that said, if you really like the look and feel of a Weatherby, GET IT. If the 6.5 PRC really calls to you GET IT.

A weatherby in 6.5 Creedmoor would be easy on the pocket book and probably satisfy target/hunting with a wide variety of handloads. Should have a decent barrel life vs the prc if you load with that in mind for target.

7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
6.5 Ruger or Howa Is my choice or the Vanguard in 6.5 as it uses How's barrel and actiom

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.