• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for 8x57JR

Natchez has it in stock on sale for $14.96 box of 20.
RWS

RW2144913
RWS BRASS 8X57 JR 20PC
In Stock
$24.31
$14.96

Reloading BRASS

RWS BRASS has been the choice of reloaders for the past 30 years. Known for its extremely high reloa...

If it is loaded ammo that you are looking for,I think I've still got 2 boxes of Norma.
I'll have to check when I get home tonight.
Get in touch if interested.
thanks
Wes in AZ

was 21,
I will take 1 box if you would like to part with it.
I need some for my 16x16x8x57JR Drilling.

Thanks BIGJ...I need it loaded.

Thanks much

glassman, I'm not positive, but I believe the 8 x 57 JR is an old round with a .318 diameter bullet, and the available ammo that I have seen is the much more common 8 x 57 JS, which has a .323 diameter bullet. RWS may be the only source left for the JR.

Before you shoot this rifle, mike the bullets and be sure they are not the .323 bullet, and/or cast the rifle bore with cerrosafe and see if it might be the .323 diameter, or is in fact a .318 bore. I wouldn't think that the JS ammo would chamber in a JR, but can't say for sure. I do know that I haven't seen a box of JR ammo in 30-40 yrs. Be careful with what I'm guessing is a very fine old drilling.

I just checked the 8mm Mauser in the Nosler reloading manual. They call the .318 round a (J) not a JR, so I may be completely out in left field, but it's sure worth checking out.

Now I'm wondering if the R stands for rimmed? A lot of the old drillings and double rifles were chambered for rimmed cartridges. A quick look in the chamber will tell you if it is chambered for a rimmed cartridge.

Good luck, Tom

Hi Tom,
Here is what the markings are on the barrel; 7.7mm.

Several years back I sent some pictures of the drilling and proof marks to a dealer in Germany, got a nice letter back from the gentlemen. He stated it was a 8x57 JR.

Now I do have some shells that are with the gun, the shells are marked on the head as "303 British. My grandfather, (whom had received the gun from my Dad during the war) had told me that he has shot the rifle just one time and had killed a bear with it.

My grandfather also had the bores lengthen to accept 2 3/4" shells, which they do work just fine.

I miked the bullets as .318, the ones that are with the gun. Of course I know the 303 British is not the right shells...so that is why I have never fired them.

This Drilling was made some where around 1925-27.

Your are right tho, I should cast the chamber to be sure, that is the right way and I will probably have to do this.

I have found the 8x57 JR on line, but it would cost me around $60 to order one box from a dealer.

Sure appreciate everyones help with this, thanks so much.

*now if I can figure out how to set the setting to be notified of replies to this topic, I can answer quicker.*

Larry, this gets more complicated. The 7.7 barrel stamp is the metric equivalent of .303" (bore diameter), and in Europe the .303 Brit is sometimes called the 7.7 Vickers or Bren. Also, the jacketed bullet diameter of the .303 Brit is .311" to match the groove diameter. A long way from .318" but coincidentally it is a rimmed cartridge. You're definitely on the right track. Get some cerrosafe from Brownell's and cast the chamber before you shoot anything in it, or buy any ammo. Be sure and plug far enough down to cast long enough to get past the throat and into the bore. The cerrosafe comes with instructions.

The 8 x 57 JS is sometimes identified as a 7.92 x 57.

This is a very nice problem to have. Good luck, Tom

Last edited: