lookimg for a new cartridge in a gun

Blaketh

I am trying to pick between a 6.5-300, 27 nosler, and a 28 nosler. Looking for a flat round that can take just about any game in North America. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Mostly will be white tail which is a bit over kill but also want a Elk gun, bear or whatever else I may get a chance to hunt. Currently I can shoot out to about 400 yards, I'm no ballistics expert so that is why I chose a flat high SD round. Hopefully will learn to reload in the coming weeks so I can make my own. Also, not wanting to go crazy on the rifle spend maybe $2,000 plus the optic. Any help is appreciated.

Looking for a flat round that can take just about any game in North America. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Mostly will be white tail which is a bit over kill but also want a Elk gun, bear or whatever else I may get a chance to hunt.

Personally, I suggest getting a solid .300 Win. Mag. since it is extremely flexible as a cartridge and there is a wide variety of bullets when you start reloading. There is also a fantastic selection of commercially available ammunition from nearly every maker so you can shoot while developing your reloading set up.

Nearly every rifle maker, commercial or custom can and does have a .300 Win. Mag. in their line up. Just be careful selecting the twist rate in case you want to shoot the really long VLDs. You can download it for short range practice loads up to the top of the pressure scale for those bad boy grizzlies and heavy for caliber bullets. And besides, there won't be any shortages since it is a cartridge used by the military.

Enjoy!

Since you have it on your list. 27 Nosler with new 150 regular Accubonds or 165 Long range Accubonds sounds sweet.
Yea, I have a 257 bee and was kinda leaning to the 27 or 28. The 27 bc it does have a high SD and it shoots fast. Probably shoots flatter than what I can aim. I'm not sure I would like the recoil from the 28 although it is like a hammer. I would think that 27 with a 165 could take down about anything I wanted while having a pretty decent mpbr

Yea, I have a 257 bee and was kinda leaning to the 27 or 28. The 27 bc it does have a high SD and it shoots fast. Probably shoots flatter than what I can aim. I'm not sure I would like the recoil from the 28 although it is like a hammer. I would think that 27 with a 165 could take down about anything I wanted while having a pretty decent mpbr
If you can handle a 165 grain in a 27 Nos I can't image you wouldn't be able to handle a 180 in the 28?

If you can handle a 165 grain in a 27 Nos I can't image you wouldn't be able to handle a 180 in the 28?
I've never shot either. I'm sure I could tolerate recoil. I guess I just need to get the 28. I can tolerate a 300 win mag and I would think its comparable to it.

You said......"looking for a new cartridge in a gun"....
28nosler is old school...
get a 27nosler and show us all what it's about....

Get a 30-06 or a 300wm and call it a day. Both will give better barrel life with less recoil, and better factory ammo if you aren't reloading.

Don't reinvent the wheel for whitetail out to 400. Spend your leftover money on practice ammo and get good out to 800.

I should probably stop posting tonight, I'm sorry- had a few bourbons and I'm in a mood. 😂😂

Get a 30-06 or a 300wm and call it a day. Both will give better barrel life with less recoil, and better factory ammo if you aren't reloading.

Don't reinvent the wheel for whitetail out to 400. Spend your leftover money on practice ammo and get good out to 800.

I should probably stop posting tonight, I'm sorry- had a few bourbons and I'm in a mood. 😂😂
No problem. I have a 3006 in a cz and it shoots all over the place like 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I am trying the Barnes copper rounds and think the copper fouling may be the issue for the accuracy. Truth be told also I just don't like the rifle itself. Its awkward and the grip is too big, not including a little heavy. I wouldn't mind selling it or trading it for another rifle. I suppose I can also clean it real good to see if it is copper fouling causing the problem.

When people say "for any North American game", do they really mean "ANY"?
Polar bear, grizzly, brown bear, musk ox, moose are big animals. I wouldn't want to carry anything smaller than a .30 for the big dangerous bears, or even in country where they live. .338 better, .375, even more better.

Out of the 3 you suggested, 28 Nosler all day for "all North American" game. If elk is really your limit, any of those three would work. The 28 just puts a bit more heavy bullets on the platter for you to choose from.
6.5 is limited to 150, 153.3, 156, 160gr.
.277 gets a bit heavier with 160, 165, 170gr.
.284 goes 180, 183, 184, 190, 195, 197gr.

these kinds of posts keep coming up and my answer will always be the same

300 Remington Ultra Magnum is king of factory long range hunting cartridges for all game in North America, all those other cartridges will never be as cool

When people say "for any North American game", do they really mean "ANY"?
Polar bear, grizzly, brown bear, musk ox, moose are big animals. I wouldn't want to carry anything smaller than a .30 for the big dangerous bears, or even in country where they live. .338 better, .375, even more better.

Out of the 3 you suggested, 28 Nosler all day for "all North American" game. If elk is really your limit, any of those three would work. The 28 just puts a bit more heavy bullets on the platter for you to choose from.
6.5 is limited to 150, 153.3, 156, 160gr.
.277 gets a bit heavier with 160, 165, 170gr.
.284 goes 180, 183, 184, 190, 195, 197gr.
No polar bear. My biggest shot will probably be a elk but if I ever get lucky to hunt a moose then I want to have something for him. I doubt I will ever get a opportunity for a grizzly as well but I want to have it just in case you know? I basically want it to be able to do it all if I got a chance. I like the bc of the smaller calibers over the bigger ones, thats one reason why I just haven't got a 300 win or whatever. I'm not the smartest when it comes to calculations.

I would second the 300 win
You can load up 215 gr bergers for long range or you can load 200 gr a frames for the biggest bears and not have to worry
It can do it all
Im thinking about taking it for my polar bear hunt this year

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.