Look for some guidance on load development

I ordered:

2 - 5 round sample packs of 180 gr accubond
2 - 5 rounds sample packs of 180 gr GMX
2 - 5 round sample packs of 170 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr GMX

My go to gun shop a town or two over is holding a 1lb if Varget and some 210m primers for me.

I've doing some ready on Hodgdon's website and some sticky threads on ladder testing. Once I can get my rifle back from bedding I'll make sure it's zero'd with the Federal's I have.

I'm going to do my ladder testing at 100y. I'm going load up 5 in 1 gr increments to max for each bullet weight/brand. I'll post some pictures of it all.

I've cleaned a bunch of brass for it. What's the best brass to use - all once fired. Here's the choices:

- PMC
-Hornady
- Federal
- PPU

A couple of things. I note you are increasing the powder grains by 1 gr increments. Are you going up to the max hand loading manual is calling out for, or increasing your loads above the max load given? Not knowing the round you are shooting, Going over the max load called out for in manual by1 grain step is to much. You are on the right track, but only one powder? Their a great many powder, primers, bullets out there. That the great part of it, being able to change out bullets, powders, primers, case and bullets lengths. So you have a long way to go in developing a load for your rifle.

The brass you should put in groups by manufacture and get a weight on each case. Getting the weights to as close as possible per manufacture in groups. I have seen weights of case from different manufactures vary 15+ grains. There is other ways to measure your case by water volume. You need to note the case weights and group them. That can get you into big problems. Especially if the powder reacts to heat or cold weather. Set up sheet of paper gridded reflecting case holder tray or trays. to put in case weight. Then move the case that are about the same weight together. I set a grid with excel. Mark the base of the case with nail polish what cases are the same or close to same. Like a 300 Win Mag in PMC. Mark the 3 for one weight them next weight 3 & W. Also make a charts to show how you marked the cases. At the range things can get turned over, then you start all over again.

SSS
Mike

I ordered:

2 - 5 round sample packs of 180 gr accubond
2 - 5 rounds sample packs of 180 gr GMX
2 - 5 round sample packs of 170 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr GMX

My go to gun shop a town or two over is holding a 1lb if Varget and some 210m primers for me.

I've doing some ready on Hodgdon's website and some sticky threads on ladder testing. Once I can get my rifle back from bedding I'll make sure it's zero'd with the Federal's I have.

I'm going to do my ladder testing at 100y. I'm going load up 5 in 1 gr increments to max for each bullet weight/brand. I'll post some pictures of it all.

I've cleaned a bunch of brass for it. What's the best brass to use - all once fired. Here's the choices:

- PMC
-Hornady
- Federal
- PPU
Get some Hammer samples . Deer and lope out west (northwest) yes. As far as your brass. Federal maybe. Buy some quality brass and be done with it. ADG, Lapua , Nosler, Norma , etc.

308's are some of the easiest rifles to tune enjoy your journey!
This is true! You have chosen a great cartridge out of the gate to cut your teeth on reloading. Lots of good advice has been made in this thread. Keep reading. I learned a lot for "The ABC's of Reloading" and the old Hornady and Speer manuals. You have embarked on a rewarding odyssey. Add to you skill set as knowledge increases and resources permit. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

-YZ

165 gr. Sierra Game King HPBT with Varget. This is an easy bullet to get great results from at or near the max load. Sierra lists a max at 43 grains, Hodgdon lists a max load of 46 grains - consult the manuals that you purchased or check my data out on the manufactures web sites. This combination has worked in my Remington (1 in 12), Ruger Precision (1 in 10), and Tikka (1 in 11) twist rifles. C.O.A.L. at 2.750 " seems to give excellent results in all guns I have fired it in. As to your brass situation/selection - every manufacturer has proprietary formulas and slightly different capacities, and each lot of brass can have differences. Federal will work, however, all will work but not at the same time so pick the one you have the most since this is practice. But it would be best to pick a brand that you will be using to hunt with and purchase a sufficient amount so that you can get consistent results. I use Starline and Lapua - different loads - different bullets - different purposes and different sizing dies because each brand has a different springback. Consistency and eliminating as many variables as possible is a good practice in reloading, as is measurement. Have Fun.

I appreciate everyone who's reached out offering help. I size and trimmed my cases today for .308. I went with the federal brass since I had so many. I also found some Speer 165 gr bthp in a 100 pack I bought a while back. I'm going to start with these.

Still waiting on the call from the gun smith.

Well, just a little update.

I ended up loading some Varget from the manual. I went with 165 gr bullets I had bought. I started out at 41 grains and moved up in .3 grains out to 44.3 grains. I loaded in bunches of three. I checked 1 load of the 3 on the scale. I was using a charger master lite. I calibrated per the manual. I made sure if I had any second guess to what I charged I stopped and started over. I almost charged 413 gr vs 41.3 gr. So I was overly careful after that incident. I did a OAL of 2.800

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.