Longrange Hunting/Tactical Stocks

hmbleservant

I'm trying to decide on a good stock for shooting prone with harris bipod at extended distances. I have the McMillan A5 with adjustable cheek or the Manners T4A on my mind and wanted to know if their are any other stocks that I should be looking at. How does Bell and Carlson compare? Any and all advise welcome.

I will be building a Rem 700 medium/heavy barrel with timney trigger in 7mm Mag or WSM or similar for long range hunting.

Also should I go pistol grip like mentioned above or thumbhole like the Manners T5A? Thinks for everyones help. This will be my first build.

PS: I'm not worried about crazy indistructable durability just accuracy & comfortability.

Regarding stocks, nearly anybody that has handled more than a couple different ones will tell you that a lot about a stock is personal preference. For a long range/hunting stock, I prefer the McMillan A3 with adjustable cheek. I like thumbhole stocks but haven't yet built a rifle with one. If and when I do utilize a thumbhole stock, it'll likely be the Manners T5A.

I am going to withhold comments on the B&C stocks until I have time to play with one in the near future.

So I guess to wrap this up, try to get your hands on as many stocks as you can so you can see if you like it or not. And Snowy Mountain Rifles would be happy to get you a price quote on a custom rifle if you are interested. Send me a PM if you would like.

Geb

My advice would be to get your hands on as many different styles of stocks as you can before you spend the bucks to buy a nice custom stock.

The tactical stocks look kool but they are not particularly ergonomic nor are they designed generally to be slung over the shoulder and carried for miles.

They are designed to be set up in bench type situations or shot from the prone off of bipods and generally are very heavy.

If that is they type of shooting you are planning and you aren't going to have to pack them in very far they will work very well for you but hunting stocks are designed with the hunter in mind including being carried moderate to long distances in difficult cover and terrain.

Your problem with obtaining the stock is going to me delivery time. Ordering directly from the manufacturer will be months and months and months and more months.:rolleyes:

There are dealers/sponsors on here that have them in stock but it will take some shopping and planning after you decide on which one you desire.

I shoot both the tactical straight grip and thumbhole stocks.

My tactical thumbhole is self-made and I really like it. It can be shot from either side.

The most universal fit for long range shooting are the McMillans. (I tried to purchase a Manners but got zero response to emails and phone calls.

I've been shopping for the lightest stock possible for my big gun. Shopping includes aluminum chassis ranging from $1k to better than $500. Their problem is weight. About 4 pounds minimum is what I've found for the big Bat action. More like 3.25# for Remmy clones.

Best deal in town seems to be the McMillan, for me, is the McMillan A5 special ordered at 2.5 lbs. My current A5 is right at 3 pounds 5.5 oz.

If I were to purchase a "pig in a poke" the look, feel and shoot-ability of the McMillan A series would be my choice.

Just some thoughts.

I would have to agree with Roy, the McMillan is still at the top of the heap & this is coming from a guy who has more Manners stocks than McMillan :D. The one "hunting" style stock that I kept was the H-S precision (have no idea what model) that came factory on my 700 S/A. It still has the vertical grip that I demand yet is slim enough to pack around (we've got too many miles together to count :rolleyes:).

The aftermarket stocks I have Include:

1- McMillan A-5 (second to be delivered next month)
2- Manners MCS T-5's (i'm a southpaw & cannot order the T-5A)
1- H-S Precision

I do not care for the "traditional" or "hunting" style grips, to me they are uncomfortable at best & don't offer the ergonomics of a "tactical" style grip. As others have stated multiple time in previous posts, try to get your hands on the styles you are interested in as, that action will tell you FAR more than our opinions can.:cool:

For me it's still McMillan all the way.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts