Long Range Setup

LongRangeHunter15

Hey guys,

I am about to start a build and was wondering if I could see your guys's setup for inspiration. Thinking about going with a 300 RUM on a Rem 700 Action, probably gonna start off a Sendero. What are your thoughts on this caliber and action? Will mostly be using for moose, bear and maybe deer.

Remington 5r 300win mag, Timney trigger, Nightforce NXS 5-22x56, with Nightforce rail and rings, Wyatts bottom metal. Love it but still learning to manage the recoil for follow through. I chose 300wm for available ammo and it covers white tails to moose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 94
Start with what you want to shoot(deer, moose, bear), how far you want to shoot it, and what bullet you want to shoot it with. That may narrow down the cartridge and caliber. Let's say the 300 RUM is one that fits your needs so far, then take it's advantages and disadvantages, that letter being hard to find brass and one of the best powders, Retumbo, is a bit scarce right now, as is the cheaper Remington brass. A 300 WM is close but a lot easier to get brass. There are lots of threads about reloading, etc, of those and many more on here. I have two 300 RUMs and love them. Think of buying a used one as starting with a Sendero ~$1,200, getting it blue printed($350), rebarrelled + brake($500-$700), you are well over the $2,000 mark and close to a used custom at that point. Nothing wrong with a Sendero, it is the 2nd most accurate most accurate factory gun I have owned. There are a lot of great choices !

Start with what you want to shoot(deer, moose, bear), how far you want to shoot it, and what bullet you want to shoot it with. That may narrow down the cartridge and caliber. Let's say the 300 RUM is one that fits your needs so far, then take it's advantages and disadvantages, that letter being hard to find brass and one of the best powders, Retumbo, is a bit scarce right now, as is the cheaper Remington brass. A 300 WM is close but a lot easier to get brass. There are lots of threads about reloading, etc, of those and many more on here. I have two 300 RUMs and love them. Think of buying a used one as starting with a Sendero ~$1,200, getting it blue printed($350), rebarrelled + brake($500-$700), you are well over the $2,000 mark and close to a used custom at that point. Nothing wrong with a Sendero, it is the 2nd most accurate most accurate factory gun I have owned. There are a lot of great choices !

Ditto!

Start with what you want to shoot(deer, moose, bear), how far you want to shoot it, and what bullet you want to shoot it with. That may narrow down the cartridge and caliber. Let's say the 300 RUM is one that fits your needs so far, then take it's advantages and disadvantages, that letter being hard to find brass and one of the best powders, Retumbo, is a bit scarce right now, as is the cheaper Remington brass. A 300 WM is close but a lot easier to get brass. There are lots of threads about reloading, etc, of those and many more on here.

Spot on. This short evaluation will help separate perception and reality. Some guys think they need a ton of horsepower and high magnification just to realize they could've easy accomplished their goals with lesser scopes and less recoil, I'm just as guilty as the next but I've been working on it.

I'm not a fan of ear protection in the field so no muzzle brakes for me which is why the 300wm is about as big as I'll go for hunting. Plus it will kill any NA game further than I can shoot.

I went with the RUM over the WM. Does the RUM have that much of an advantage over a solid WM, probably not that most shooters will ever be able to get out of one (including myself). I chose it for a few other reasons. First, I liked the non belted case on the RUM. Second, I wanted something my hunting buddies didn't have but did not want to get a "overbore" wildcat either.
I have been really pleased with my RUM. Great long range round and loves the heavier projectiles. Mine is a factory Sendero with a brake and trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 66
  • SDC13979.jpg
    SDC13979.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 75
Split the difference.....go with a WBY. Easy to find components for, easy to load for,and right up there near RUM preformance.

win/win/win!!! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.