• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Long Range Rifle Knowledge Needed

SNiPe

Im looking for a dependable bolt action rifle for long range competition shooting and hunting. Any caliber but I'd like to have something affordable. Thanks guys

i dont think you can go wrong with an interarms commercial mauser probably chambered in 7mm rem mag or 270, by the sounds of it, i dont think your a reloader and ammo can be bought just about anywhere ammo is sold.

Rem 700 Sendero in 300 win with a brake. Accurate, dependable, and bullet and ammo selection is great to either reload or buy off the shelf.

Jeff

Affordable is a loaded question. For competition, I see affordable as $5,000 or less. Do you? If so, the 6x47 Lapua is a great choice. You can shoot up to 115 grain bullet, and as light as a 65 grain. I have one that is a shooter out to 1000 yards, as do several of my buddies. The 6mm gives you a very stable bullet, and for accuracy the 105 gr A max is incredible.

This is a wild cat round, so you will need to get one from a Custom shop. Mine came from SSG, but there are several very reputable builders on this site. Dan Glover, of Dan's Custom Guns has built a few awesome guns for friends of mine, and a tremendous 7x300 WSM for my dad. When a 72 year old man can stack bullets on top of each other at 500 yards, you know the gun is a shooter.

Next, just because you have the gun, you better have good tracking glass, and have it level. The gun means nothing if you can't see or dope in your target. If you are talking competition, get your press and dies and a good powder meter and calipers. Don't go cheap, you are going to end up with the good stuff anyway, so save yourself the trouble.

Then shoot, and shoot some more. Find a load, chrono it, and use it. Dial it in, make a drop chart, then buy a nice range finder. After 400 yards, most loads are falling pretty fast and you need to be correct on your yardage to dope the scope correctly.

Get a good bi-pod and rear bag and you are set...

Enjoy.

Roger

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a m91/30 and I'm customizing it. The ammo is dirt cheap too.

A lot of guys in our long range groundhog shoots are buying the Savage LRPV in 6.5-284 and 6mmBR

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a m91/30 and I'm customizing it. The ammo is dirt cheap too.

You really were looking for an "affordable" rifle! The Mosin-Nagant is a great rifle and dirt cheap - easy on the wallet up front with the rifle cost and even lighter to shoot thoursands of rounds down the road. I had one for a bit, made it look real nice once I got the cosmolene out of it and refinished the stock... But I decided to get rid of it. I enjoyed every shot out of it - especially shooting into some rocks at night :) try that out and enjoy the flame out the end and the sparks on the rocks!

As for competitions go - good luck! It'd be the first Mosin that I've ever seen on the firing line! :D

I'll agree with broz. The Remington senderos in 300 win mag is a sweet rig. I've had one for over ten years and it has never let me down. Mine doesn't have a brake though

Recent Posts