Long Range practice pays off!

orwapitihunter

Here's the pot of gold I found at the end of my Long Range rainbow.

11975.jpg

I took this bull with my Remington 700 chambered in 7.82 Lazz Warbird. After spotting him feeding with a herd of cows, I closed the distance to 855 yrds. The first shot struck a little too high and broke his back. After he stopped rolling, his head was still up so I fired again. The second shot hit him behind the shoulder and took out both lungs. Both of the 180 gr Accubonds exited. This is my longest shot to date.

BirdShooter

My congrats! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifBTW....what's that Offensive Picture Report thing that pops up?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nothing Offensive about that pic at all IMO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nicely done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What kind of practice did you do to prepare for LR season? As an instructor I'm always interested in what others are doing.

Shawn

4ked Horn,
Thanks for the heads up on that link. I guess it is just for short term use? Anyways hopefully Len or one of the others deletes it for me. Lets see if I can show you what you were supposed to be seeing.

11975.jpg

Shawn,
I did my research here. My shooting in the field. And when my results didn't match my expectations I found out why. I still need a lot of work but I can see the improvement. Wind is the biggest problem I face. I spend most of my time hunting in and around canyons. As of right now if the wind is strong or appears to be multidirectional, I won't shoot at big game.

I did develop my drop chart shooting on paper but now I shoot lots of rocks! It's all public land and I don't want to crate Iron or set and remove targets. So usually it's a small rock on yonder mountain that gets the nod. It needs to be fairly small and the bullet needs to be real close to POA or I'm not happy. After all who can't hit a VW sized rock?

Hope that answered your questions.

Here's another pic. I shot from the far hillside above the large rock in the upper left foreground.

11977.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.