Long Range Pistol Project "30 BTAC"

Black Diamond 408

After conversing with Ernie over the past several years he finally talked me into a specialty pistol
project. He kept after me to build some custom actions dedicated for the pistol shooters. I told him when i got some free time i would put a design on paper and put a prototype together.

We talked about the different calibers and cartridges being used, i wanted something accurate
and also capable of long range hunting. I decided on 30 cal, i liked the wide range of bullets
available. This new cartridge was designed for the heavy high BC bullets. We talked about
using a 338 Lapua case and necking it to 30cal, along with other possibles. One day i was messing around in the shop and got a wild idea, i shortened a 408 Cheytac case and necked
it to 30cal. It ended up looking better than i thought, i did several mock ups and settled on a
case capacity of 85gns of Retumbo powder. This case has a short powder column for a uniform
ignition, should help with the accuracy. It is similar to a WSM style case, only much larger.
I call it "30 BTAC" short for 30 baby tactical. Its a lot of work making the brass, but i wanted
something different. Brass length is 1.550" long

The action is a dual port style made from 4340 chrome-moly steel. Fluted bolt, sako extractor
and plunger ejector. It was made to fit the new case, ejection port is cut for the short shell.

shell_a.JPG

I put a dual port on for ease of loading on a bench, this will also double as a competition bench pistol.

dual_port_1a.JPG

The action will accept any Rem 700 style triggers, this particular pistol has a very special option
an Electronic trigger system. It can be set from 1/4 ounce to 6 pounds. The electronics are held in a pocket i milled into the area where a magazine well would normally be, a small cover gains access to the battery.

The stock was designed by Joel Russo, it is a bench rest style with a 3" wide forend. It can be used for bench work or hunting. The under coat was a clear epoxy to seal and harden the wood.
The top coats are Duracoat epoxy paint to match the US Army digital camouflage. I have a military log book i used for the pattern, it came out very close. I converted the log book to hold the shooting info and my Exbal ballistic computer.

pistol_3b.JPG

pistol_7b.JPG

pistol_5a.JPG

Here are some of the build specs

Viersco Long Range Pistol action, dual port
Electronic fire control system
Russo Laminated stock, Bench rest style
Lilja 30cal barrel, 8 twist, 20 inches long .900 at the muzzle
Viersco "Shark Bite" muzzle brake
Overall length 34"
Weight with out scope, 10.5#

For competition shooting it will have a stainless steel plate that attaches to the bottom
of the forend to bring the weight to 16#

Optics will be a 8-32x Night force scope. 40MOA base will be used for most shooting. In the future i will build an adjustable base for extreme distance shooting, 0-150moa.

This has been a fun departure from the standard rifle projects, i look forward to testing as soon as i get the brass and dies built. I'm sure i will have more to post when all that gets done.

Dave

Dave,
When I first starting visiting with you about a specialty handgun you were talking a 260 Rem or 284 Win cartridge, but this is completely outside the box compared to that first phone call.
I wish I could take more credit for this project, but this is more about your creativity and skill than anything else. It is beautiful!
Can't wait to see how it performs, wwwaaaaayyyy out there:D
I think you out did yourself and put together some really good components together.
Outstanding!!!

Black Diamond 408
That is a fine looking pistol!!
I'm always pleased to see the things your working on!
Always top of the line, innovative, Beautiful!!
That is a great idea for case and size, as you said it will be a lot of work.
So now the only real question, what about lefthanded model??

Cam

I do believe that is the coolest pistol I've ever seen!!! You wanted different and you sure got it! Way to go Dave; keep up the innovations. I can't wait to hear how it goes this summer reaching waaayyy out there. -- Don Ferguson

Very impressive Dave.
I might have missed it, but are you shooting 240gr SMK and what velocities do you expect ?

I haven't had time to form cases for it as of yet. The plan is to use the Henson 210gn AT bullets for the longrange P-Dog hunt. I have some 200 and 210 SMK's and a box of 208 Amax for testing. I may run some 240's to see what kind of vel i can get. I used the 8" twist so i can
run the longer high BC bullets. Ernie and I are going to be testing it sometime in late June.

I have contacted another guy who has a 300 Dakota in a specialty pistol with a 24" barrel,
he is getting a little over 3000fps with the 210gn bullets. I expect my 20" barrel should be
close to 2850-2900fps as both cases are similar in capacity.

I have been moving my shop into a new building so my personal projects have been on
hold. Maybe this weekend i might have some free time to make up some cases and test out
the new rig. I have a 8-32 nightforce on order for the optics, it should be here next week i hope.
I still haven't made the dies, but that wont take too long once i get started.

Cheers!

I just got the optics in for the new project, Night Force 8-32x56 NP-R1
Its on a 40 MOA base for extreme shooting.

DSCN0032-pistol.JPG

DSCN0031-pistol.JPG

Slowly the project is coming together

Dave

DAVE
Is that the backdrop of your new shop ? Would like to see some pics if you don't mind. Pistol looks great with that Nightforce on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.