Long-Range Muzzleloading- Which bullets/powders/sabots to try? Ian?

CanadianLefty

Hi all,

Just bought a Savage 10ML-SS-Camo, smokeless powder muzzleloader- Yippppiii! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Purpose: Long-range (300 yard limit) hunting of mainly WT Deer in Saskatchewan, with occassional Moose (200 yard limit)or Caribou in Quebec.

Hopefully, with this being a LR forum, I won't get any flack for wanting to shoot deer out to 300 yds with a ML. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Being completely new to the sport, I am looking into what powders, bullets, sabots that I should first try out in my gun that would best serve my purpose above .

I will probably mount a 2.5x8 VXIII, in heavy duplex (unless someone has a strong aversion to this for ML hunting or another reticle preference).

I have been told to try VV-N110 and a 250gr.-300gr. Hornady SST bullet and MMP sabot for my purposes. What othe bullets/powder/sabot combos might you recommend that I try out?

I am struggling to decide between higher weight bullet (greater B.C., penetration) vs. lighter bullet with higher velocity (given under 300 yards, the lower B.C. might not mean much in real world performance?)

Also, I was specifically looking at the 245gr. and 285 gr. Spitfires by Barnes but have hear nice things about many others including SSTs, XTP, Winchester, Nosler etc.

At this point, ANY tips or comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
CL

i used to hunt whitetails in sask with a muzzleloader but i never tried anything too far. 230 yds is my longest kill.we used to shoot at ducks out on the lakes.can't tell ya how far they were,but i can tell ya the smoke would clear before the bullet would hit sometimes.after 250 yds any bullet is really falling off.if i were you i would stay in the 300 gr range. Richard at wildcat bullets told me he shoots a really long bullet and has killed them at long ranges.he can tell ya how far.my claim to fame is i shot the #1 whitetail/muzzleloader.it was only 100 yds but the tense part was i had to shoot him between the back tines.gettin off the subject here.my last 3 years i used the sierra 300 gr .44 bullet. 120 RS pyrodex. shot a gonic so i had to use their sabots.call richard,he's done some shootin at these ranges.

Re: Long-Range Muzzleloading- Which bullets/powders/sabots to try? Ian

Believe it or not but I have had great luck with the 250 & 300 gr shockwaves pushed with 150gr of pyrodex. I personally use the 300gr if I know the shots may be long. Force= mass x acceleration.

MY ML is an omega.

Last year I finally had an opportunity to test various rounds/powder combinations. I obtained some good information from the folks over at 24 hour campfire. With my T/C encore, 50 cal, Leu 6.5X 20, I was under an inch at 100 yards. At 150 yards I average 1.5 inch groups. at 225, I was regularly breaking clay pigeons. I found my most accurate load was 100 grains of pyrodex with a 250gn Hornandy SST. I thought the guys who claimed such accuracy were twisting the truth, I can confirm the sabot SST was the most accurate round shot out of my rifle. Groups consisted of three rounds with spit patch between shots.

Anyone tried the Barnes Spit-Fire bullets?

I have shot long quite a bit with a variety of muzzleloaders. Longest kill to date is 343 yards on a big Nilgai bull, that was with a Knight, two pellets and a 300 grain A-Frame. Now I am shooting T/C Shockwaves, several 300 yard kills on hogs in Texas. Latest bullet is going to be called the Bonded Shockwave, shipped about a week ago.
Have never shot a smokeless, just prefer to stick with white smoke. My Encore and Omega shoot as good as I can hold them out past 300 yards.

Suggest that you get a multiple aiming point reticle, mildots, ballistic plex, TDS or whatever so you have more than one downrange zero to work with.

I bought a Knight Extreme .50cal. I topped it with a Leupold Ultimate Slam.I shot bulleye at 100 yard,but did not have a chance to try at 300yards yet because I had a heart stop for 8 second and they installed a Pacemaker on april20 2011so I could not shoot till October.I plan on making a lot of shooting in 2012.
Moose1

I have owned this very rifle since 2006 and have set up at least 5 friends and relatives with the same rifle. My knowledge is based on the info you can get at the doug's proboard site. All the rifles I have set up for long range seem to like certain loads:

300 gr Barnes Original/Harvester black crush rib/ 67 or 68 gr H4198 or 60 gr N120, with Fed 209A or WW209 primer.
300 gr SST's or Bonded Shockwaves work just as well in my gun, but the Barnes Original is a tougher bullet.
290 gr Barnes TMZ's are a tough bullet, but the accuracy is not there after 200 yds.
Some guys have been having great luck with the Hornady 325 gr FTX but I have had no need to try them.

Muzzle velocity for the above loads is 2350(N120) to 2400(H4198). These guns have been shooting about 1-1.25 MOA. I sight in at 200, the drop is about 16"at 300 yds.
Hope this helps,
Sliceman

Hello, I am new here to the forum. I love muzzleloader everything about it. I am currently shooting the jacketed hydra con 300 grain. Parker makes in my opinion the best there is and can make anything one may need to work as well. I see the savage is on the list of favorits here anf the Match Hunter 300 and 325 are also bullets that require faster fps w/ huge bc to speak of. Bob Parker is from Idaho and if you never herd of him just type in Parker bullets and go from there. Thanks

I forgot to mention that i am from Vermont and currently shooting the Omega w/ a little Blackhorn. I also just bought one of the newer Redfields and recommend that as well. I am here to learn and help out any way I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.