Long range hunting help

Skinem

I'm 58 years old, live in tn. Hunted several countries and states.
Taken over 400 animals mostly with rem 700 300 weatherby.
Kevlar brown precision... shot barrel out ..Hart replaced .. made into 300 rum .. had good results with that too. Switched t o blaser .. but limited twist options means will not shoot heavy bullets well at long range.
Light bullets didn't work out well.. so now building another 30 caliber.
I'm not certain 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 300 weatherby or rum. My plan is to shoot 215 OR 230 Berger VLD. 25 to 26 inch barrel.
Brux or Benchmark with shortie break. Would like use lapua or norma brass. Most all my game have been shot 600 yards and in .
My real goal is to use new rifle out to 1000 yards. Definitely have Marco Polo on the list.
I most recently attended a long range §hooting school and learned alot. Thanks for any input at all. THANKS

1:9 should cover what your wanting to do. 1:8 if your wanting to shoot real heavy lead cores or the heavier monos. Which both could turn your rifle into a single shot. I think you'll have better brass options with a RUM. If you go RUM go the longest barrel your comfortable with.

Have you seen the 30 Sherman Magnum?….Did I mention Lapua makes brass…? 1:10 covers to 212gr std bullets…i would probably go 1:8 to be sure and offer flexibility with all coppers.

I'm having a 300 Norma Improved built right now. 26" 1-9 twist and throated for the 215's & 230's. Should shoot the 215's around 3200FPS & 230's around 3100FPS (depending on accuracy node of course). Lapua brass is available and thats what I got. ADG is also available.

I'd go with a 8 twist. The 9 will spin both of those bullets just fine. Of course the 8 will spin them too, and give you much more options if you decide to go heavier or jump to a mono bullet. I have a 9.4 and although that was perfect for the 215's I used to shoot, I can't shoot the new monos I want because of my twist. I wouldn't have switched had it not been for scarcity of components. So it's nice to have more options with the 1/8.

As far as cartridges, I'd look to see what components you can get when you order your barrel. I'd try to get enough components(brass) to last the life of the barrel. ADG is tough to beat. I did a "torture test" so to speak, loaded the same 3 pieces of brass for a total of 16 times each, before I finally gave up. I gave up before the brass did. I was sizing minimally and annealing every other loading and Trimming when needed. I figured my 1 box of brass would give me 1,600 rounds of ammo. Probably, longer than my .300 WM barrel would last.

I did an 8 twist on a 300 RUM. 27" barrel I get 2830 FPS with the 245gr Bergers. I had hoped for more, but it is accurate. I don't know if I could prove it, but I think over twisting affects velocity a little bit. I say that based on a 270 Win I had that I put a 1:8 twist on also. It was not as fast as I thought it could have been/others were getting.

I am not convinced I would want to shoot the big monos out of this, as they need the speed. It was considered when I bought this barrel though.

I hear others getting better velocity out of the 300 PRC than I get with my RUM and this combo. No experience with it though. Will be watching to see how the components go over the next few years to help determine which way to go (shameful it has to be this way).

Great insight Shane .. I'm a Barnes guy... but just hard to change. Want make sure do everything possible to better myself. BERGER Vld is what you're running or hybrid?
I run h1000 I'm my rifles but really looking hard at n570

245gr EOL (hybrid hunter I think is what they call it)
N570
Rem or ADG brass
Fed215mag

Also did well with the 181gr Hammer Hunter, but I didn't set this RUM up to shoot the lighter bullets. The Hammers are very easy to load....and they are available.

I'm 58 years old, live in tn. Hunted several countries and states.
Taken over 400 animals mostly with rem 700 300 weatherby.
Kevlar brown precision... shot barrel out ..Hart replaced .. made into 300 rum .. had good results with that too. Switched t o blaser .. but limited twist options means will not shoot heavy bullets well at long range.
Light bullets didn't work out well.. so now building another 30 caliber.
I'm not certain 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 300 weatherby or rum. My plan is to shoot 215 OR 230 Berger VLD. 25 to 26 inch barrel.
Brux or Benchmark with shortie break. Would like use lapua or norma brass. Most all my game have been shot 600 yards and in .
My real goal is to use new rifle out to 1000 yards. Definitely have Marco Polo on the list.
I most recently attended a long range §hooting school and learned alot. Thanks for any input at all. THANKS
Here's some input....take Marco Polo off the 1000 yds list ....and put them on the 600 yds and less list.....winds seldom stop on those peaks or valleys! You will be shooting thru 2-3 wind changes if you are stretching out the shot!

I've got several hunts this year. All mine except two were pushed forward to 2021.
Marco Polo is on the list. My goal isn't to shoot a sheep at 1000 yards..The outfitter the three of us are going with made it clear that we need to be prepared to shoot long range as they usually won't stop until 700 yards. So let's say they are off the list and we all get shots at 100 yards. I would be happy.

Meaning I never been there . I'm looking for advise on a 1000 yard rifle. I've built several rifles and had several built. Just wanted others opinions on what they are doing with their builds.
Not arguing t h e fact that wind blows in the mountains. That's no news . I realize that .

I'd go with a 8 twist. The 9 will spin both of those bullets just fine. Of course the 8 will spin them too, and give you much more options if you decide to go heavier or jump to a mono bullet. I have a 9.4 and although that was perfect for the 215's I used to shoot, I can't shoot the new monos I want because of my twist. I wouldn't have switched had it not been for scarcity of components. So it's nice to have more options with the 1/8.

As far as cartridges, I'd look to see what components you can get when you order your barrel. I'd try to get enough components(brass) to last the life of the barrel. ADG is tough to beat. I did a "torture test" so to speak, loaded the same 3 pieces of brass for a total of 16 times each, before I finally gave up. I gave up before the brass did. I was sizing minimally and annealing every other loading and Trimming when needed. I figured my 1 box of brass would give me 1,600 rounds of ammo. Probably, longer than my .300 WM barrel would last.
Too get 16 firings of a brass you really took are of it.What do you Anneal with?
I'm undecided in what to buy to anneal with
.Thanks