Long-Range Browning Buckmark Varmint

sscoyote

Bought 1 of these awhile back and thought you guys might like to see what i did with it. It was used and at 1st i couldn't get anything to shoot as well as my 5.5"-barrelled Ruger Mk. III. Then i happened onto some Win Dynapoint and it shot ~1" @ 50. Finally got something to shoot out of it. I put the Pride Fowler 1.25-4x with the Rapid Reticle set up for a 500 S&W to 300 yds. I just recal'd. the reticle for the 22 load i'm using at 1025 mv. I also mounted it in Burris ***-Align rings and tried 20, 10, then finally 5 MOA inserts to maximize the turret adjustments in it, and with it zeroed at ~10 MOA from bottomed out now i get 70 MOA out of it useable! Excellent from a 4x scope i thought. The reticle nets me 18 MOA to lower post tip and 8 MOA windage along the lowest windage line. Using reticle alone i can get to 175 yds. [18 MOA]. Reticle and turret together will net me ~400 yds.

3 shots at 100 yds. here--

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

The barrel is tapped for a stock hole in the bottom of the barrel, but i wanted a bipod stud on it and had to open it a bit for the screw pitch on bipod stud screws. The problem when mounting directly to a barrel is that the stud hole is too short and the ears of the bipod mount won't sit deep enough when engaged in the stud to hold it below the opening of the bipod [the opening holds the ears together so they stay engaged in the stud holes]. Also the bipod leg adjustment screws hit the barrel since it's so close to it. So i had to put something on the bipod plate to keep it away from the barrel about a .25". So i put what i think is shotgun shell cards or spacers i find all over the place at the range. Actually I find these little discs to be useful for projects occasionally. So i glued 4 of them onto the rubber plate pads of the bipod and it now works great [see below].

I have about 6 of these NC-Star BR pods laying around. They're only ~$35 [thru Amazon i think], and they also come with a bunch of hardware to mount to hollow stocks, barrel attachments, etc. with a stud supplied as well--probably the best value for a knock-off BR bipod going these days.--
DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

Last edited:
Thats Awesome Steve! I have a 22/45 target that will ring a 10" plate at 100 yards, and one of these years it's gonna get a squirrel out that far.

Well, had to change the optic on it. Do love the PFI system but wanted a bit more power on this rig. Besides that the 1.25-4 works better on my Ruger Mk III. Got a 2.5-8x Nikon on it now and love that optic too. BDC reticle has 2-2 MOA circles at 2.5 and 6 MOA [75 and 100-yd. zeros with Win. Dynapoints i shoot out of it], and lower post tip is 15 MOA @ 8x [150 yds.]. Has only 40 MOA of low profile target turret travel in it, which still gives me 34 up with Burris ***-Align rings with 20 MOA inserts in it. Along with the 15 MOA reticle post tip i get ~50 MOA flexibility to play with. Should net me very close to 300 yds.--more than enough for about any 22 shooting...IMO. The horizontal plex post tips are set up nicely at 5 MOA either side of the reticle's vertical axis for windage reference. 1/2 a circle is 1 MOA making it easy to interpolate windage.

DSCN0064.jpg

Worked out real nice couple days ago shooting prairie dogs out to ~150 yds. in this little town--

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.