Long range ballistic validation question

Thanks for your help! I will look into that.

I'm working on trying to figure out the environmentals more accurately, but this is new to me.

Can you explain density altitude to me? I'm not sure I understand what that is...

Yep, you can tweak your MV and/or BC to match the actual ballistic profile.

Even the best ballistics program is going to be off to some degree because not all of your inputs will ever be completely accurate so your ballistic solution is an approximation.

The more accurate your inputs are the more accurate the outputs will be but nothing is perfect.

Thanks for your help! I will look into that.

I'm working on trying to figure out the environmentals more accurately, but this is new to me.

Can you explain density altitude to me? I'm not sure I understand what that is...
Altitude can be measured as actual feet above/below sea level or approximated based on the barometric pressure.

Weather changes barometric pressure of course but in general the higher you go the less dense the air is.

Density altitude is a derivative of temp, altitude, humidity, and barometric pressure, all which affect how dense the air is. It is simply a number a kestrel will give you that you can enter into your ballistic solution

Like everyone said make sure your environmental inputs are as accurate as possible.

Scope height input is more critical the farther out you shoot.

Like everyone said make sure your environmental inputs are as accurate as possible.

Scope height input is more critical the farther out you shoot.
I have a friend that thought his dope was on from Eastern Wyoming to Western Wyoming. I suggested we prove it at my favorite place to shoot. BLM with a nice sandy spot. I have steel out to 1100. 4 inch discs. Painted orange in a real dry environment. Easy to see impacts. He was shooting a 270 WSM. He discovered he was off several minutes. I think the jist of this is. When you have a chance shoot in the environment you will be performing in. Prove your come ups. He uses a different ballistic chart than I do. Neither are close to perfect. Prove your come ups! You won't ever be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.