Long range question

HTG

I am planning on setting up a couple of rifles for long range shooting to 1,100 yards with Leupold scopes and turrets. I am thinking about buying a Weatherby Vangard for the second gun. Does anyone know how this gun would stack up against Gunworks setups. I think I can do without all of the bells and whistles, but I don't know if this gun is a good choice for long range shooting. It would only cost about $1,000 compared to gunworks $5,995 or $3,400.

I am an avid Wby fan and own a few vanguards as well. Mine all shoot real good and most are sub moa out to 3 or 400 yds. But I don't think you can compare them to any custom build with a custom barrel rifle.

JMO,

Jeff

Last edited:
I recently acquired a 300 wby in a vanguard and it shoots awesome with 180g NBT's and 200g AB's. With those 2 bullets, I"m getting 3075fps with 180's, and 3050fps with the 200's and they are both grouping .25"-.5" MOA at 100 yards. I haven't got a chance to stretch her out to 800-1000 yards yet, but I'm sure it will still group at least MOA to that distance which is all you need to kill deer and elk. Only thing I've done to the rifle is install a Timney trigger set to 1 3/4 lbs and feeding it what it likes... It has surprised me with how well it shoots for a cheap vanguard. From my own experience with them and from what I've read from others, the vanguard is a great shooter for the price when fed what it likes...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one based on my experience with my 300 WBY. Dont know if I could justify spending $5000 on a rifle when a $500 rifle will shoot just as good.

It doesn't take a whole lot to be successful at long range other then having an accurate rifle/load, a good scope, a little basic knowledge and lots of practice. You dont really need all the bells and whistles contrary to popular belief.

A little bit more information would help with any answers that could help you. What are you planning to use rifle for paper, varmints, big game, ect. If you know what round you are wanting to use, it would allow to give you a little better answerfor you. What ranges are you wanting to shoot, what size of round, do you reload, ect? Gunworks rifles look to me as worked over remingtons, unless they have changed what was on there website the last time I looked. For the money you could have a lot better rifle made up than what they want 5 ks for. oldfamily

I am planning on loading for 7mm, 168 grain Bergers. or 154 grain Hornady. I really like the factory Hornady's out to 400 yards but don't think they have the long range capabilities that the Bergers have. I've never had to shoot over 500 yards but it would be nice to have it if I have to. The other 7mm that I have is a older wood stock Weatherby and is really heavy, its weight and stock shape make it super accurate. I am guessing that the Weatherby Vangard won't have this huge advantage but I need another one for long hikes and wet rough conditions and the lighter weight Vangard will be nice for that. I am mainly going to use the rifle for hunting big game.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.