Long Range AR Platform .260 and Howdy

WildRose

New to the forum so I'll just get my howdies over here with my first thread.

I'm an outfitter in Texas and a long range hunter/shooter of over thirty years.

Now to the question... .

the 6.5 has long been revered as one of the best long range bulletts in medium calibers ever developed. In recent years since remington introduced their .260 which rivals the performance of the old .264 win mag with far fewere pressure related issues this round has quickly risen in popularity with both snipers and long range hunters.

I'm slow to make changes but for a long list of reasons I think the .260 is the caliber for me.

All that being said, I've settled on the AR10 platform and have been debating over having one built, buying the AR10T 260 from Armalite, or the LR-260 from DPMS and having the latter tuned and accurized/customized after purchase.

I Recently came across some posts on several forums recommending www.D9Firearms.com as a potential builder, and looking at some of their packages they are very appealing.

Has anyone here had experience with their work? Got a better recommendation?

Thanks. WR

Well to be honest I have never heard of them. I am quite familiar with the AR platform and perhaps can make a few suggestions to get you into the weapons system you want.

The issue with the 308 AR platforms is standardization there isn't any! The two companies you mention are ok at best for the build you're considering.

I might suggest a LMT MWS they use mike rocks barrels and although their web site only list 308 win at present I can assure you that they will be offering barrels in 260 rem this year as well as 243 and 7-08. Their catalog already lists them. Additionaly if you do not want to wait for LMT to get the 260 out in your hand, there is the option of getting the 308 win. Then having another barrel made in 260 rem by this guy(link below). Changing out the barrel in a MWS takes 1 min. This can all be done with LMTs MRP to in 5.56 or 6.8. THey have 300AAC and maybe a 6.5 LBC,GRENDEAL rolling out for this as well.

Another option and a great one in my opinion would be a matched billet upper and lower from MAGA machine. They are high quality and except magpuls excellent PMAGS.

The best part about the MAGA option is you can build the weapon your self no need to spend money on a gunsmith. ARs ane plug and play like leggos. You will need a vise, upper reciver block, nylon or lead hammer, a pin punch set and a torq wrench thats it for the most part. Brownells has videos in their do it your self section or I can walk you through it over the phone. Their are lots a barrel makers that you could get your barrel from.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=509830&page=5 read all 5 pages

Last edited:
The 260 is a great choice for all the reasons you list, plus availability of factory ammo.

Have you considered other 6.5's such as 6.5 Grendel which was essentially designed for the AR15?

I can't make any recommendations. But, I've considered putting one together myself.

Thanks,
Richard

Buy a DPMS .260 if you can find one. The 6.5 Creedmore would work also. My DPMS 260 shoots sub-MOA always and sometimes 1/2 MOA. Triggers on them are not good unless you happen to find one with a JP trigger. There are several aftermarket drop in triggers. The best two stage is Geisele and I think the best single stage is McCormick with Timney a close second.

If you want a TOP-of-the-line build go with GA Precision.

In the same place as you. Like the ballistics of the Grendel, and the Creedmore I am told will get close to the 260 and with the shorter case you can seat the bullets longer

dust, I have the Grendel and it won't be within 300 fps of the other two. Just as accurate though.

Ski, I have heard they (JP) made some rifles, but have never seen one.

Accuracy Systems is another builder. I would like to have one built in 6.5 SAUM with a 25 inch barrel plus the brake. Should spit the 140 grain bullets out at 3200 fps plus.

I have the 308 LR, 308 18", 300 SAUM 20" , 260, 6.5 Grendel, 243 win, 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM, 6BRX. 6AR, 6AR TURBO, and numerous 223. I hope my wife doesn't read this!

Welcome to the addiction, to say the least.

I'm a "builder", like to tinker, build a few for friends, and friends of friends. I've built a grendel, and it's a good one for an AR15 platform, but for AR10, the 260 really shines, as has been mentioned, the .264 bullets can be seated further out, allowing for a more "bolt" style loading, to some extent.

Additionally, you can make the gun as light or as heavy as you want for either bench, or hunting. I am currently building a 260Rem in AR10/SR25 platform, on a Crusader Weaponry "DPMS" style Upper and Lower receiver. It is billet. I'm then taking a Black Hole Weaponry 3polygonal rifling, 20" medium contour barrel with an Apex Machine handguard to allow for modularity for bench and hunting. Offers weight savings, while still providing a rigid system for accessories if needed (bipod, light).

This rifle will have a Geissele SSA-E trigger group and an A2 Stock for simplicity. The SSA offers crisp breakage. Anyone interested in any other details about the companies I've chosen for the build, or the build in general, let me know. As a prostaffer, my job is to produce products to test, and sell to folks whom are interested in the work we do.

Not an advertisement, but a willingness to help.

I did buy an exact example of the weapon you are referring to from D9. It is a DPMS LR 260, 24 inch stainless barrel, with a Miculek comp, JP trigger with anti walk pins. I mounted a Bushnel yardage pro 800 scope on it. I would say that it is a very nice setp and D9 was a very good person to work with. I would recommend him to anyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts