Deer hunting with AR platform

5.56mm is adequate for deer @ 300 yards and in. As long as you do your part, the rifle+bullet will do their part. I would recommend 75grain Vmax bullets.

Think about it this way: Even with a .50BMG, there is no guarantee of a DRT shot. Go on youtube.com, type in .50BMG hunting, click search. There is a video of a hunter shooting a doe at about 200 yards with this caliber...go ahead, look it up- I'll wait...okay, did you see that? Well placed shot, well within the capability of the weapon and the doe still ran off about 50 yards:rolleyes:. When the hunter walks up to it, you see the devastating exit wound the animal had (about a foot across) and you saw it run didn't you? You know what this tells me? No matter how much gun we use, the desire for an animal to live can greatly overshadow the power of any system...

Do you know what else that video tells me? That anything less than the .50BMG round cannot guarantee a DRT.

With all that said, do people mean to tell me that @300 yards the 5.56mm round has less power than an arrow from a bow @20 yards? I doubt it.

Besides all that, I would recommend you stick with something easily available to shoot in your area. Personally, I reload my own ammunition but I try to load something similar to match grade factory ammo.

(Quote)
With all that said, do people mean to tell me that @300 yards the 5.56mm round has less power than an arrow from a bow @20 yards? I doubt it.

You cannot compare the bow to the rifle because they use different methods to kill .

A rifle kills because of impact energy,trauma to organs and massive tissue damage.

A bow kills with Momentum/penetration and blood loss caused by the broad head.

An arrow will have very little energy but momentum will drive the broad head through
because of weight and no change in frontal area.

J E CUSTOM

(Quote)

You cannot compare the bow to the rifle because they use different methods to kill .

A rifle kills because of impact energy,trauma to organs and massive tissue damage.

A bow kills with Momentum/penetration and blood loss caused by the broad head.

An arrow will have very little energy but momentum will drive the broad head through
because of weight and no change in frontal area.

J E CUSTOM

5.56mm is adequate for deer @ 300 yards and in. As long as you do your part, the rifle+bullet will do their part. I would recommend 75grain Vmax bullets.

Think about it this way: Even with a .50BMG, there is no guarantee of a DRT shot. Go on youtube.com, type in .50BMG hunting, click search. There is a video of a hunter shooting a doe at about 200 yards with this caliber...go ahead, look it up- I'll wait...okay, did you see that? Well placed shot, well within the capability of the weapon and the doe still ran off about 50 yards:rolleyes:. When the hunter walks up to it, you see the devastating exit wound the animal had (about a foot across) and you saw it run didn't you? You know what this tells me? No matter how much gun we use, the desire for an animal to live can greatly overshadow the power of any system...

Do you know what else that video tells me? That anything less than the .50BMG round cannot guarantee a DRT.

Besides all that, I would recommend you stick with something easily available to shoot in your area. Personally, I reload my own ammunition but I try to load something similar to match grade factory ammo.

Here we go again!

Tank

It's not really a discussion. Can 5.56 kill a deer, yes. Should you make a practice of it especially at long range, no. It brings to many ethics into question. We all want to be the guy that can put a bullet anywhere we want to, but in reality theres always the chance that something can go wrong. 5.56 hits something in a non vital place and that target will be in agonizing pain until it dies. If it dies. Is all that really worth it.

I think this discussion forum may have lost sight of the original posted question, which was the 6.8SPC or the 6.5 Grendel...I think it ultimately ends up being a decision based on the availability of the rounds.

I admit I may have worded my statement about the bow/arrow incorrectly. No doubt, the .223 has more lethality than the bow/arrow. I have yet to see a single video or hear of a single incident where a bow/arrow produced a DRT kill. I have though seen it with the .223.

Besides all that, the military uses .223/5.56 in the M4 and M16 systems... US Army expects kills out to 300meters and USMC I believe is 500meters (and we're not hunting deer)... Don't quote me on the latter as I do not serve in the Marine Corps.

Lastly, I looked up a couple of things about these cartridges and found that the Grendel offers more bullet selection...Besides that, they seem about the same (somehere between the .223 and .308).

Good luck, I hope I was helpful.

Biggest factors I see here are bullet weight, and propper bullet construction for the game intended + shot placement.

I killed two deer with a 24in barreled 6.8SPC with 110gr TSX Barnes. Don't know how fast it's going, but a little faster than 16in barrel.
Both deer, one MT mulie doe, and one small whitetail. Didn't use the rangefinder, but used 200yd dope, DRTx2. Both passthrough shots. The mulie boiler room, I try not to shoot the shoulders (makes good hamberger and sausage). The whitie through the neck plenty of dammage.

If you look up the ballistics on SSA (silver state arsenal), 115gr 6.8SPC has a nearly identical tragectory and FTLBS as that of a 147gr 7.62x51(308 Win).

And for the .223, I'd say bullet selection, nothing less than 55gr, and bonded, core lock, or Barnes style killing bullets.

I looked a lot too, I think the 6.5 Gren is slightly more accurate, over the 6.8SPC. The ftlbs numbers were a little better with the 6.8SPC.

As far as saving pelts, Barnes has solid bronze projectiles, just for that purpose.

My next Upper I think is going to be in .458 SOCOM, looks like a moose stopper!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.