long or short action?

Ridge Runner

starting to aquire parts to build my daughter a 700 260 AI, to make the most of this crtridge with 140's possibly vld's do I need a long or short action?
thanks for the help
RR

starting to aquire parts to build my daughter a 700 260 AI, to make the most of this crtridge with 140's possibly vld's do I need a long or short action?
thanks for the help
RR

Go with a short action .

A long action is not nessary and sometimes awkward when loading because of the extra space.

For your daughter I would recomend short action, mag length ammo and lighter bullets(around
120grains) because of recoil and they will be good for distances of over 600 yards on deer.

The slower velocities of the 140s will reduce the performance on deer. the 260 does very well
at 3000 + ft/sec and bullet performance is enhanced.

Use good bullets and she wont have any problems.

Keep it simple and she will love the 260 and deer will hate it.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I use the long actions for the option of loading to longer COAL. After finding which bullet/length works best, I install a model 7 follower and machine aluminum spacer block to aid in loading mag.

ok, thanks the rifle will weigh in around 11# and have a brake and decelerator on it, do they make a wyatts extended mag box for a short action?
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.