Long Free Bore in New Winchester Model 70

CMP70306

When I started checking my rifle to see what kind of depth I should load my bullets to i used a hornady gauge to check my 1903 Springfield and my model 70 in 300 win mag. My results were that in the Springfield if I load them to magazine length then they are almost touching the lands with hornady 168 BTHP.

However for my .300 I was using hornady 225 gr BTHP and it was almost .2 inch difference between the magazine loaded depth and one that would touch the lands, so being new to reloading i just loaded them to mag length till i could understand it better.(first group was sub-moa but the velocity was pretty low and definetly not a long range load) So basicly is this normal and am I losing a large amount of accuracy by seating them back so far or does it not really matter that much?

As for seating depth you need to play with it to determine best accuracy. In my experience you do not need to always touch the lands or be very close for best accuracy. In addition, you generally give up a little velocity seated against the lands. And this all depends on bullet brand/type, VLD's like to be a bit closer while any flat base is not that sensitive. If this is a hunting rifle I would not seat against the lands, last thing you want is a stuck bullet in the Field and probably want to use the magazine as opposed to a single shot.

Winchesters have been inconsistent, in a brand new purchase 270 WSM my hunting partner is touching the lands with 130 grn HSM factory ammo, when its extremely cold has pulled bullets, NOT GOOD. In a 375 H&H Winchester I purchased its WAY off the lands (dif caliber of course).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.