Long action 7 x 57

Sully2

Why is it I "cant"....or at least Ive been told I "should'nt" have a 7 x 57 caliber rifle built up using a long "sized" action. ( M70 or M700 or whatever??)

Why not?

Well, as the 7mm x 57mm is a true 3" cartridge it's not going to fit in a SA. There are some 'intermediate' actions, but there're customs, not production like a Rem. 700/Win.70/Ruger 77. I've built several 6mm Rem. AIs over the last couple of years using LAs. The 6mm Rem case is based on the 57mm Mauser cases. They feed just fine without alterations. In a SA you'd need a mag box with an inside length of approx. 3 1/16", and I don't think that's a possibility even with an 'extended' box. See why I said "someone who doesn't know what they're talking about". Kinda' self explanatory if you look at the loading manuals for loaded cartridge OALs. The large ring military Mausers have an inside mag length of 3.315" for the std. length and 3.232" for the intermediate lenght and those cartrides and actions were designed around each other. There is an exception or two in the std. length Mausers, but they were built with cartridges other than the 57mm in mind.

Well, as the 7mm x 57mm is a true 3" cartridge it's not going to fit in a SA. There are some 'intermediate' actions, but there're customs, not production like a Rem. 700/Win.70/Ruger 77. I've built several 6mm Rem. AIs over the last couple of years using LAs. The 6mm Rem case is based on the 57mm Mauser cases. They feed just fine without alterations. In a SA you'd need a mag box with an inside length of approx. 3 1/16", and I don't think that's a possibility even with an 'extended' box. See why I said "someone who doesn't know what they're talking about". Kinda' self explanatory if you look at the loading manuals for loaded cartridge OALs. The large ring military Mausers have an inside mag length of 3.315" for the std. length and 3.232" for the intermediate lenght and those cartrides and actions were designed around each other. There is an exception or two in the std. length Mausers, but they were built with cartridges other than the 57mm in mind.

I've never owned the 7x57, but have always wanted a 7x57 improved (30 degree shoulder). But have owned several 6mm Remingtons, and my brother has probably owned a dozen .257 Roberts and at least two .257AI's. Remington did chamber the 6mm in the 700 short action. I always felt the short action was about .100" too short fort the loaded round. Have never shot a 57mm case round in a Winchester. I have shot several Rugers in .257. On the otherhand the 57mm case cycled well in the short action Savage (about .150" longer than the Remington). On the otherside of the coin, Remington did chamber their Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts. Long or short action, I can't say as I have not seen one in ten years or more.

I personally would go with the long action in a Remington just for flexibility in loading ammo.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.