Load for Remington R15 223

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rtv900, Nov 24, 2008.

1. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I bought a Remington R15 (AR15) in 223 the other day. I am going to use it as one of my guns for coyote hunting. The gun has an 18 inch barrel with a 1:7 twist rate. What would you guys suggest I use for a bullet weight?

Also, what would you suggest for a load for this gun. I have a friend that reloads and if I buy the brass, powder, primers and bullets he will reload for me. I was thinking about trying some berger bullets. Please let me know what you suggest.

2. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I'm shooting 55gr V-Max's in mine with Benchmark powder.
    I'd certainly try Varget and Bergers. Once hunting season slow's I'm going to work up some Berger loads.

3. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

How do you like your Remington R15? Are you getting good groups? I hope this AR is a good shooter. Thanks for your reply.

4. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Nosler 60 gr BT. It should make for a great long range coyote bullet.

JD338

5. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

With a 7 twist I would have to give the 90 bergers and SMks a try. I have had better luck geting the SMKs to group well, but I am pretty sure it is barrel specific. I cant recall my load at all, but want to asy around 26gr......you better check that over at 6mmBR's 223 load page

6. gamedog

Eddbo, my R-15 is a 1:9 twist.

rtv900, I'm really enjoying my R-15 so far. My prior 223 AR was a DPMS Bull 20"
    Awesome rifle , but a little on the heavy side packing around the hills calling and shooting P-Dogs. That's what I like about the Remington. Very light weight.

I have done zero load work on the R-15 so far, but it shoots the 55gr V-max's I had loaded for my DPMS right at 1" at a 100 yards. I'm sure once the barrel is broke in and with some tweaking of loads, she'll group better.

They are a neat little rifle though. Here's how I set mine up.
    3-9 x 36 Swarovski, harris bipod, DPMS two-stage trigger.
    [​IMG]

7. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I am confused about the rate of twist. I have read that mine is 1:7 and your is 1:9. I will have to check the Remington web site to see if I can clarify mine. I am going to mount a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 on mine for now. I hope to have that done tonight so I can go to the range tomorrow.

8. gamedog

Check the top of your barrel. Mine is stamped with the twist rate.

9. Misfire

Misfire Well-Known Member

My AR has a 1:8 18" barrel and LOVES the 60gr V-MAX bullets. The Black Hills Blue Box molly coated to be exact.

Due to expense and unavailibility of Black Hills ammo right now, I've worked up some 60gr V-Max loads and will post the results as soon as I've had a chance to shoot them.

I'm anxious to hear what you discover as well.