Load for 300 Rum w/210 Bergers

I'm bringing this thread back up to see if anyone else had anything to add.

I'm starting with 87gr of Retumbo, Fed 215's, and the 210 VLD set at 3.65" as my first test load with the Bergers. On my Sendero, they don't touch the lands until 3.845".

I found my pet load with the 210 hunting vld's at 92gr of retumbo with 215 GM's for an average 3142 fps and an ES of about 18. My sweet spot was 3.785" in my factory 700 BDL stainless 26" sporter with a hogue stock. It will shoot three shot groups at about .42 inch if I do my part. I was amazed at how well this stock helped the recoil and actually shot better than the HS stock i had orginally bought for it.

I've taken a small black bear at 465 yards and an antelope at 200 yards with this load. Serious "DRT" on both! I recovered about 75 grains of molten lead and jacket on the far side of the bear and the antelope round blew clean through. I'm excited to try it on my elk trip this year.

Good luck and happy loading!

I picked up a nice load from GRIT when I bought one of his rifles.

91.6gn H1000
FEd 215 primer
Berger 210
MV 3180
28" Brux 1 in 9.6" twist

Although I have not done a lot of LR work, I have had the opportunity to run about 40 rounds. Accuracy was much better with 3.77 COAL versus 3.65. At 100 yards my best/ worst group was .29 and .47 inches. At a different range, without a bench, shooting off the bed of my truck I ran 2.5" at 400. Was dead on at 400 with 4.75 MOA adjustment. (Sighted in at 100 to keep my rifles all on one page!)

These were the 210 VLD with a .62 BC.

Just wanted to post an update to this thread.

My 210 VLD's are pushed at 2941 FPS with 91.3 grs Retumbo @ .046 of the lands.

I shot a 1.5 inch group on the 300 yard steel plate at the Hunter Ed range 4 days ago and 3 days ago was shooting out to 780 yards and hitting where I was aiming every time.

I have found the bullet for my 300 RUM. For a factory BDL standard rifle it is a shooter. I have a HS stock on it that my gunsmith bedded. other than that the barrel, trigger and action are stock.

This will be my light weight hunting gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.