.300 RUM COAL w/ Berger 210 VLDs?

mattj

Hoping somebody here might have the information I'm looking for. Having a heck of a time finding it.

Wondering what kind of COAL folks see with .300 Ultra Berger 210 "into the lands" type loads. I realize this will vary by chamber, but I'm just trying to get a general feel for what kind of overall length I am looking at. Hopefully if a couple people can reply with the data so there's a nice sample size :)

Going to have a custom rifle built, and am trying to have my cake (210 VLDs seated into the lands), and eat it too (feed them from the mag). Trying to figure out what length magazine I'm going to need to accomplish that feat.

Thanks!

GO-FASTER,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the Wyatt box with the 3.820" internal length, or does that just happen to be the length that your chamber prefers?

If it is the 3.820" Wyatt, do you ever wish you could seat longer?

3.820", or ~4" center feed Wyatt-- that is the question. Maybe I'll just give up and go single-shot.

Thanks.

GO-FASTER,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the Wyatt box with the 3.820" internal length, or does that just happen to be the length that your chamber prefers?

If it is the 3.820" Wyatt, do you ever wish you could seat longer?

3.820", or ~4" center feed Wyatt-- that is the question. Maybe I'll just give up and go single-shot.

Thanks.

I have the 3.800 Wyatt box, thought that this would be long enough, but it isnt - I told my smith to chamber my barrel for up to 240 SMK, and now the mag is too short, my COAL is around 3.85 with Berger 210 VLDs -I measure off the ogive with a Stoney Point OAL gauge, and at the ogive its 3.819 - too long if I want to run rounds from the mag well. The smith didnt bother to ask me which Wyatt box I wanted, and I didnt think that there was more than one to pick, so there ya go.... hope yours fares better. I am not too upset, as I load with very little neck tension, and I am afraid that ramming a loaded cartridge up a ramp will cause some runout (don't know, I may try to load some up and cycle them through and remeasure to see). So single shot I go.

EZ

I have the 3.800 Wyatt box, thought that this would be long enough, but it isnt - I told my smith to chamber my barrel for up to 240 SMK, and now the mag is too short, my COAL is around 3.85 with Berger 210 VLDs -I measure off the ogive with a Stoney Point OAL gauge, and at the ogive its 3.819 - too long if I want to run rounds from the mag well. The smith didnt bother to ask me which Wyatt box I wanted, and I didnt think that there was more than one to pick, so there ya go.... hope yours fares better. I am not too upset, as I load with very little neck tension, and I am afraid that ramming a loaded cartridge up a ramp will cause some runout (don't know, I may try to load some up and cycle them through and remeasure to see). So single shot I go.

EZ

Thanks ELZWizz68 --- sounds like the 4"-ish centerfeed might be the way to go, but I've heard those can be finicky as far as feeding. Almost makes me wonder if I should just build a single shot and stop worrying about magazine length and feeding and such altogether.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.