Load Development Interpretation

Yes it is strapped to the barrel. I am not necessarily shooting for accuracy with it attached though. In my experience with it, I only see a point of impact change with little affect on group size at 100 yards.
You are shooting groups with it on and measuring group size, that is shooting for accuracy. IMO any group size data with the magneto speed on is null. It's great for measuring velocity but group shooting with it on will be counter productive.

D 4.2, and an ES of 11.
SD 6.7, and an ES of 17.
A rough rule of thumb is that a valid ES is ~5x of SD. There's a lot of math behind making that number 5 and not 6, but looking at a normal distribution 99+% of data points happen within 3 standard deviations of the mean, meaning within 6 total standard deviations. Until the two stats start to normalize they don't have much inferential value.

Two things to think about here: one is that ES uses the least possible number of data points - two of them to be exact - and since those two points are the highest and lowest they're the most susceptible to being outliers. That means ES is the weakest possible statistical comparison with the least inferential value.

Second builds on that last point - ES will almost never provide positive confirmation of anything (since to be practical we're limited to reasonable round counts), at best it provides negative confirmation in small data sets. One place this is useful is roughing in a barrel tuner - if you shoot pairs you can say that while the aggregate group of a much longer shot string might get larger than the pair, it can never get smaller than the pair. So you rule out tuner settings that have too large of an ES and move on. That doesn't help you prove any given setting is actually good, to do that you have to increase the number of shots. So I'll sit there and turn the tuner to a setting, shoot two, and either move on if the group is too large, or continue shooting until the group opens up.

Clear as mud? 🤣 Stats is very important to shooting, but it's also a very, very easy way to misrepresent information. One problem is that it can set impossible goals because everyone on the internet can shoot a1SD/1ES group... they don't really say it was three shots, or they ignored "flyers". Don't chase a ghost, look at the paper targets and do what they tell you to do.

It was new brass both times.
New brass is going to have some case to case inconsistencies, even coming from the best brands. They're manufactured to be very consistent overall but until they're shot there's no telling how each will respond to what happens inside of the case. It can be tough to shoot through all your cases with tight components now, but the second and third firing are probably a better place to get muzzle stats. Then the real crazy happens - SD and ES might start opening up , yet groups will stay consistent if you tune the load right.

Managing muzzle velocity variation is critically important - but very dependent on how far and what you're shooting.

ELR/ more than 1000 yards - very important.
Shooting really small targets/ trying to make first round hits anywhere past 600 yards - very important.
Match shooting where you get to shoot sighters and can re-dial your scope before shooting for score under 1k - not very important.
200 yards - literally will never matter - unless you're making loads so unsafe that you shouldn't be loading at all :eek:

I can't help but think the Magnetospeed is affecting groups as well as POI. Much like a tuner if it isn't in an area of the harmonics that the barrel likes, it's going to be difficult to get repeatable groups. I wouldn't be too upset at the velocity/ES/SD variances you are seeing with a new barrel and new brass.

In addition to that Berger load data tends to be very conservative. Let your rifle and brass tell you what it likes. Personally I strive for 99-102% case fill and typically have lower deviations in ES (which is much less important as mentioned earlier) and SD.

Here's an example of where you can have low ES and SD but it's definitely not the norm.

0E669725-869D-4B53-8AEF-61F7E46BC6D7.jpeg

Unfortunately it appears to be a wee bit overpressure based on nearly pierced primers, although ejector marks are pretty light to my eyes. Case fill on this one was at 103%.

883089AA-3CD2-4B8F-98C4-8AC0B16C7491.jpeg

I got some confusing results this weekend for a new load I am working up and was hoping someone could give me insight on what may be going on. Here are the details about the gun and components.

Alamo Precision Custom 6.5 Creedmoor
24" Bartlein Barrel w/ 1:8 Twist
New Lapua SRP Brass
CCI 450 Primers
H4350 Powder
Berger VLD Hunting 140gr.
Seating Depth .025" Off Lands
Neck Tension .002" (.262")

After the first round of load development on 4/9/2022 I thought I had it pretty well zeroed in using 40.7 grains of H4350. The 5 shot group size was 0.41 MOA, average velocity was 2662, SD 4.4, and ES of 11. I felt pretty good about these results but decided I would load up another 5 rounds with this same configuration to verify and some additional rounds increasing in 0.3 grain increments to see if there was another node at a higher velocity since I did not have any signs of pressure. So I went back to the range this weekend on 5/7/2022 and the same 40.7 grain load yielded a 0.95 MOA group, average velocity of 2654, SD 8.6, and an ES of 22.

To confuse matters even more, at least for me, was with 41.1 grains I shot a 0.9 MOA group, average velocity of 2687, SD 4.2, and an ES of 11. Not counting the group size, this was the best data of any combination that day. I know I can probably play with the seating depth and tighten this one up. The prior outing on 4/9/2022 using 41.2 grains was one of the worst groups. The best group size I achieved was with 41.5 grains which I shot a 0.39 MOA group, average velocity of 2713, SD 6.7, and an ES of 17. These are still very good results and I did not have any signs of pressure. Oddly enough the 41.3 grain group was the worst of the day.

Temperature wise between the two outings was only about a 3-4 degree difference. I throw all my charges with an RCBS powder dispenser and weight each one on a beam scale. I also measure every round with a set of Mitutoyo calipers and Hornady comparator for seating depth. The only thing I do to the new brass is chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth and set neck tension.

Here are pictures of the two targets and PDF with all of the data compiled from the Magneto Speed.

Hoping someone might have some insight into what is going on here.

Thanks,
Jacob
My 26", 8 twist heavy contour 6.5 Creed has two different preferences for where it likes to shoot best, one dirty and one short lived when clean. Keeping it in a happy balance between to clean and to dirty is a matter of shot counting for me. The break in period was a time of inconsistency too.

To me 40.9 looks to be a good place to be. I would definitely do seating depth testing there. Also, the 41.5gr load might be the start of another node. You can further test 41.5-42.5 and see if there's anything in there that's promising. Just keep an eye out for pressure signs as you work up.

I like to start .010 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. I typically will test .010-.050 off. I look for 2-3 loads in a row with good groups and load to the shortest of the 2/3 and call that good. I shoot 2 shot groups and again look for a window where I'm getting the bullets touching or dang close for 2-3 depths and with similar points of impact. You'll have some ugly ones but that's the point of the test. You can do 3-5 shot groups to get a better idea, but I like to conserve components and 2 shots gives me a good idea. I'll then go back and test 3-5 shot groups to confirm the precision of the load.

Below is an example of a seating depth test I shot. The orange target is me verifying the load and the zero. There's 5 shots in the top group and then 3 in the center. These were seated .010 off the lands which was the start of my seating depth node as you can see.
View attachment 364705

View attachment 364706
Thanks Judd! I think I will explore that 41.5 group a little further and see what it does going up to 42.5. Also I am running a Curtis Axiom action with Curtis bottom metal and magazine. For me .025" off the lands is the furthest out I can seat and still fit in the magazine. A Wyatt's may be in my future but for now I will see what it does from .025" and back once I start my seating depth test.

I think you're looking at the OCW test the wrong way , it's not for groups it's for nodes and then for groups.

Like another intelligent person commented on here, shoot enough and that little ES will grow and grow and change etc.

You are on the low end using 40.9 area. There's a node at 40.5- 40.9. You are starting to see another node with the upper charges . I run my Creedmoor on the upper end with 43.2 grains , but that's for my barrel... so you're on the right path just looking at it the wrong way. Look for node patterns not tight groups, those tight groups are most often never repeatable
Your right I was putting too much stock in the group size but I also had unrealistic expectations of what my repeatable ES and SD should be. When I saw that 40.7 group ES and SD basically double that threw me off. I think I will explore that upper end node at 41.5 and up to see what happens.

I can't help but think the Magnetospeed is affecting groups as well as POI. Much like a tuner if it isn't in an area of the harmonics that the barrel likes, it's going to be difficult to get repeatable groups. I wouldn't be too upset at the velocity/ES/SD variances you are seeing with a new barrel and new brass.

In addition to that Berger load data tends to be very conservative. Let your rifle and brass tell you what it likes. Personally I strive for 99-102% case fill and typically have lower deviations in ES (which is much less important as mentioned earlier) and SD.

Here's an example of where you can have low ES and SD but it's definitely not the norm.

View attachment 364945

Unfortunately it appears to be a wee bit overpressure based on nearly pierced primers, although ejector marks are pretty light to my eyes. Case fill on this one was at 103%.

View attachment 364946
My barrel has about 160 rounds of factory ammo through it. I wanted to break it in before starting load development for it but I get what your saying. Now that I have a more realistic idea of what an acceptable variation of ES and SD for the same load is, I am pretty happy with the results I am seeing so far.

A rough rule of thumb is that a valid ES is ~5x of SD. There's a lot of math behind making that number 5 and not 6, but looking at a normal distribution 99+% of data points happen within 3 standard deviations of the mean, meaning within 6 total standard deviations. Until the two stats start to normalize they don't have much inferential value.

Two things to think about here: one is that ES uses the least possible number of data points - two of them to be exact - and since those two points are the highest and lowest they're the most susceptible to being outliers. That means ES is the weakest possible statistical comparison with the least inferential value.

Second builds on that last point - ES will almost never provide positive confirmation of anything (since to be practical we're limited to reasonable round counts), at best it provides negative confirmation in small data sets. One place this is useful is roughing in a barrel tuner - if you shoot pairs you can say that while the aggregate group of a much longer shot string might get larger than the pair, it can never get smaller than the pair. So you rule out tuner settings that have too large of an ES and move on. That doesn't help you prove any given setting is actually good, to do that you have to increase the number of shots. So I'll sit there and turn the tuner to a setting, shoot two, and either move on if the group is too large, or continue shooting until the group opens up.

Clear as mud? 🤣 Stats is very important to shooting, but it's also a very, very easy way to misrepresent information. One problem is that it can set impossible goals because everyone on the internet can shoot a1SD/1ES group... they don't really say it was three shots, or they ignored "flyers". Don't chase a ghost, look at the paper targets and do what they tell you to do.

New brass is going to have some case to case inconsistencies, even coming from the best brands. They're manufactured to be very consistent overall but until they're shot there's no telling how each will respond to what happens inside of the case. It can be tough to shoot through all your cases with tight components now, but the second and third firing are probably a better place to get muzzle stats. Then the real crazy happens - SD and ES might start opening up , yet groups will stay consistent if you tune the load right.

Managing muzzle velocity variation is critically important - but very dependent on how far and what you're shooting.

ELR/ more than 1000 yards - very important.
Shooting really small targets/ trying to make first round hits anywhere past 600 yards - very important.
Match shooting where you get to shoot sighters and can re-dial your scope before shooting for score under 1k - not very important.
200 yards - literally will never matter - unless you're making loads so unsafe that you shouldn't be loading at all :eek:
On the subject of brass...lets say after I nail down the charge weight and seating depth and come up with an accurate load that I am happy with based on new brass dimensions, would you do a normal FL resize for this load or would you just FL resize with a shoulder bump of .002"-.003"?

My plan was just to FL resize with a shoulder bump of .002"-.003".

Thanks Judd! I think I will explore that 41.5 group a little further and see what it does going up to 42.5. Also I am running a Curtis Axiom action with Curtis bottom metal and magazine. For me .025" off the lands is the furthest out I can seat and still fit in the magazine. A Wyatt's may be in my future but for now I will see what it does from .025" and back once I start my seating depth test.
Yeah I would start at .025 off then and work back to .060 off or so. There's multiple seating depth "nodes" and you'll still be able to find a good one even if you have to be off the lands a little ways.

Jstanton - A "normal FL resize IS a .002 bump. No reason to ever do more unless the round won't chamber due to die not matching chamber well enough. Only then do you have to keep bumping back until brass will chamber - or try a different die.