Load development at 100, 200 or 300 yards for .338 Lapua

giannid

So a few weeks ago I went to the range to shoot some 300 grain elite hunters starting at .15 off the lands moving back in .005 increments in 8 different OAL. Seemed like my best shooter was my shortest OAL which was 3.76. I did this at 200 yards as I thought 100 yards was too close for this gun and scope combination. The best 4 out of the 6 shots in the group shot .8" at 200 yards. Now my question is about the next range trip where I go shoot different powder loads. The first range session was done at the lowest charge of 91 grains. Should back it out to 300 yards to see which powder charge the gun likes or stick with 200 yards? My only concern so far with load development is I'm wondering if I should of tried some shorter OAL lengths with the Bergers as so far, my shortest shot the best. I'm still pretty happy with what I got though. I did shoot 8 different OAL lengths so far.

I did my 338 Lapua load development at 300 yards.
I didn't feel anything closer was a good indication of the guns ability.

As to seating depth, I would use the Berger depth test. I have had many that shot best at 0.060 - 0.090 off the lands. Even the Nosler RDF bullets I am using now seem to shoot better with a substantial jump.

So far I'm at .05 OTL which was my best shooter and also my Shortest OAL length I tested. Shot 8 different OAL my gun liking the shortest. Was thinking to try shooting shooting some shorter OAL's but I figured 8 different OAL, and I should find one that shot well. It did shoot well. I think I'm going to stick with .05 OTL as it shot relatively good. Obviously it's not real cheap to shoot this gun nor is it very pleasant to shoot. Never found any of my other guns liked the shortest OAL's that I've tried with the Bergers before. It was usually the closest to the lands in my other rifles.

I shoot a custom single shot...i shoot the 300 bergers .015 off the lands...100yds .180 3 shot...
Started withe seating depth at a jam them worked back to a .030 jump with the min powder load ...015 was best seating group

Then started with powder increments of.5 untill found best group

I do my development work at 300. I don't notice much group dispersion until 400. 200yd groups seem as good or often better than 100. Not sure I totally buy the 'going to sleep' theory but there is definitely something to it...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.