Load developement for my "Johnny Cash" spare parts 308, input appreciated!

backwoods83

As you all have read before I build some crazy combos, one of my latest is a 308, its a combo of a take off model 10 FCP-K 24" 10 twist on a model 110 7mm mag action, with a bolt face and mag assembly from a stevens 200 30-06, its in a B&C duramaxx olive with black web stock glassed under a Badger Ordinance .320 recoil lug with a modified Rifle basix trigger. It has a 1 piece base and just installed a new weaver V24 mildot with quad lock rings, it had a 6-18x40 buckmaster with weaver tactical rings in the tests I'm about to mention.

So the first load was 155 smk palmas over 49.5grns RE15 in win cases with br2 primers at 2.845 oal .506" 5 shot at 100.

Second was 168 speer bthp match over 46grns varget all else same .428" 5 shot at 100.

Third was 168 NBTs over 46.5grns varget at 2.865" oal all else same .348" 5 shot at 100.

So now all my brass is fire formed and this time they are just neck sized, case necks polished, 20-25lbs neck tension using hornady 178 amp vlds at 2.916" oal jammed .008" in the lands with 47grns varget and br2s, so what do you all think my pieced together toy will do this time? I'm hoping for a .099" 5 shot but I'm sure that's a whole lot of wishfull thinking, lol!

To be 100% honest the stock, trigger, and recoil lug was all that was purchased new, the 7mm action has had 4 different barrels on it and I have no idea how many rounds, the magazine assembly and bolt face from the 30-06 probably had around 2000 rounds in it but all the other things mentioned were leftovers or bought used. I load ammo for people and sometimes like to prove a point, this time I just wanted to see how well I can get leftover "junk" to shoot. It may turn out to be the best shooter I got!

I'm pretty sure you can get to .099".

Fire 1 shot and then another. Whenever the group exceeds .099" start a new group.

Load and shoot a bunch of ammo.

Then, tell us about your best group.

Statistically, every rifle is capable of shooting in the 1's. Most rifles would burn up a lot of ammo to get there.

But, you're still doing pretty darned good with the Johnny Cash special.

-- richard

Thanks Richard, seems as if everyone else needs to be sarcastic about it when I'm giving out info and asking for input. Main point is I have a mostly spare parts rifle that only cost me around 500 dollars and it shoots as well as some and better than some of mine and other members 3k + rifle, so people can see what leftovers are capable of and can maybe share their thoughts, if you want to be sarcastic don't reply!

As I stated, I think you've done pretty darned good.

If you yourself were not joking or being sarchastic by referencing Johnny Cash and .099" groups, then I misunderstood your post and offer my sincerest apology.

Richard

No not you richard, I think you are the only one who took me seriously, I have a couple rifles that shoot .2s all day but they cost me a lot more than 500 dollars!

IF you mean me, it wasn't sarcasm, it was bewildered amusement, Tikka, RScott and I were joking. You carefully tell us what you have built, what it's already done and then ask us what we 'think' it may be capabile of. ?? I suspect you already have enough experience to know it's impossible for anyone to even try to guess and how could our BS guesses possibly be more accurate than your own if we did? So, did you really think any of us could possibly have a clue how to answer that or were you just wanting back pats for what you've already achieved? IF that's it, consider yourself patted, you have really done good even if it never shoots groups like that again! :D

And since you shoot in the 2s all day you should do really well in the competitive bench shooters matches, have you ever considered doing that?

Last edited:
Nope not looking for a pat on the back, maybe someone to share a few of there accurate loads if this one isn't any better. Oh and I do shoot IBS btw 6.5x284 light gun 300wm heavy/unlimited.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.