Load data for 22-250 Ackley W/ 90 gr VLD's and 80 grain ELD-M's

codyadams

I have a Remington 22-250 that I have shot the barrel out of, badly....ha ha. I am planning my build now, it's gonna be a heavy, single shot long range plinker for steel and prairie dogs, and probably an antelope or two. I'm going to do a very heavy contour, heavy varmint, MTU, or possibly strait contour, 28" probably, and possibly do fluted. I want to have plenty of meat for those long shot strings on prairie dog fields. And I'm going to do a 1 in 7 twist, throated long for these heavy pills.

So I'm wondering what kind of performance people are getting with similar combos, and what powders work the best. The powder I have on hand that might work is LOTS of Varget (2-8lb kegs), H-4831sc, and Winchester 760. I can get most any powders if none of these will work the best.

So does anyone have any suggestions for loads in a 22-250 AI throwing big pills? Thanks in advance guys!!

Hello Codyadams ,

I have a Ruger 77V in .220 Swift . I had it re-barreled in 1 : 8" twist , 26" to crown . I think that I have read that the .220 Swift and the .22-250 AI have very close to same case capacity . I shoot 80gr. A-Max bullets , using H4350 powder , WW brass , and Federal 210M primers . Muzzle velocity is 3305 FPS average through a Magnetospeed chronograph , ES 15 fps. From a 100yd. zero , it only requires 23.2 moa of elevation to shoot 1000 yards , and I am at 800 feet above sea level . Bullet is seated long in case , 2.928 " C.O.A.L. It is extremely accurate , out to 1200 yards , the farthest distance that I have shot it .
Using H4350 , I started load development at 36.0 gr. and worked up from there .The H4350 powder has shown to be very stable in changing temperatures .
I also developed a second choice loading , using H414 powder , but could only reach 3220 fps safely , but it is very accurate , only it is very sensitive to temperature changes , especially in summer heat .
I tried H4831 and IMR4064, but neither developed as much velocity , nor were as accurate .
I have never tried 90 gr. bullets .

I hope this will be useful to you.
DMP25-06

Also , my shot count is above 1400 , and accuracy is still very good .
My rifle was re-barreled only , by Douglas barrels in their XX-Premium stainless , with a contour match to the original Ruger Model 77V contour , .785" diameter at muzzle .
Using the original wooden stock , and a Sightron III 6-24x50 LR MOA scope , the total weight is 10 pounds, 6 ounces .

DMP25-06

Thank you sir!!

Been a while since I posted in this thread, life got in the way of a rifle build ha ha.

Anyone else have any 22-250 AI load data? I think I will actually go with a 8 twist now, living at 7000 ft I should still be able to stabilize a 90 vld, and may use the 80 eldm as well since it is cheaper.

We tried 45 grains of rl-26(which was no where near max) in my dad's AI. We were getting 3550 with a 75 eld-m. We didn't have a chance to explore it more as the barrel was sent back to shilen because it shot like crap. 2 times it was sent back so they're giving him a new barrel. He had a 7 twist but they're now sending a 7.5 twist ratchet rifles barrel. Hopefully I'll get some better data within a month or so if they get it sent back.

We tried 45 grains of rl-26(which was no where near max) in my dad's AI. We were getting 3550 with a 75 eld-m. We didn't have a chance to explore it more as the barrel was sent back to shilen because it shot like crap. 2 times it was sent back so they're giving him a new barrel. He had a 7 twist but they're now sending a 7.5 twist ratchet rifles barrel. Hopefully I'll get some better data within a month or so if they get it sent back.

Very interesting! I have been wondering if RL-26 would work well in a 22-250 AI. It certainly looks like the potential is there...

I have been able to use RL-17 and Superformance to good effect in a standard 22-250, getting 3600ish with both of those and 69 SMK's, while RL-17 yielded 3900+ with 53 VMAX. That seemed to suggest to me that a dense, slower powder would work well with more case capacity and heavier bullets. If I had the twist for it, I am confident I could get 3450-3500 from RL-17 and 75 ELD-M/AMAX, with accuracy, in a standard 22-250.

If it works, I strongly suspect RL-26 in an AI would be an exceptional combination with 75+ grain bullets.

Very interesting! I have been wondering if RL-26 would work well in a 22-250 AI. It certainly looks like the potential is there...

I have been able to use RL-17 and Superformance to good effect in a standard 22-250, getting 3600ish with both of those and 69 SMK's, while RL-17 yielded 3900+ with 53 VMAX. That seemed to suggest to me that a dense, slower powder would work well with more case capacity and heavier bullets. If I had the twist for it, I am confident I could get 3450-3500 from RL-17 and 75 ELD-M/AMAX, with accuracy, in a standard 22-250.

If it works, I strongly suspect RL-26 in an AI would be an exceptional combination with 75+ grain bullets.
We've got some 80 eld-m that we're going to run in it when he gets his barrel back. We're guessing 3500+ with rl-26.

Used to have a 22-284. Shot 80 gr Bergers with R25 and N570. Both loads shot right at 3550-3600 fps. Could get a bit more speed out of the N570.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.