Load advice for a Browning .243

tim1457

Hey Guys, I could really use your advice/wisdom here. I recently sold a Browning A-bolt .300 to purchase a rifle for my son who is 12. (I do have a new .300 by the way which made it a little easier parting with the A-bolt). I picked up a lightly used Browning Mountain Ti chambered in .243. Since I was going to the range that day, and don't have dies, bullets, etc. yet for the .243, I bought a box of Hornady 95 gr. SST's. Being a reloader and wanting the best of accuracy, I was disappointed with the grouping of the SST's. Best group 1.625 @ 100 yards. I plan on using for deer hunting with my son and want a heavier bullet. I don't mind taking the time to tweak, just want some solid starting advice and bullet/powder reccomendations. The barrel is a 1 in 10 twist. Thanks, Tim

I ve used Sierra Gameking and Matchkings almost exclusively in my 243s, and had great results.... I stick with the 85 gr. They have proven pretty devastating on whitetail for me.

I had good results out of federal premium factory loads with the above mentioned bullet. I would recommend you give them a try.

Thanks for the reply jmd. I've read where some people say the 1 in 10 shoots 100 gr, fine and others say only 87gr. or less. It's mind boggling. I also emailed Sierra and Berger for advice. Thanks, again.

Your ten twist barrel will stabalize the hornady 100gr round nose just fine and it will perform well on deer.I am assuming you are not shooting at extreme range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.