243 ackley twist advice.

ol mike

Hey guys ,
I'd like to hear what twist you'd recommend for shooting 70 to 87 grain varmint bullets.

The barrel will be a 27" douglas in 243 AI,i'm thinking maybe 10" then again 12 " at these velocities.Thanks in advance.>>Mike

If these will be the heaviest you shoot a 1-12 will work fine. If you ever want to play with the 95-100 gr bullets, the 1-10 would be the better choice.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks !!
I guess it will be the 1-10 twist -makes the hits "very humane" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif plus a load worked up with the 95 gr berger vld would be nice. >Mike

If you want to shoot the 95 Berger you should go faster than a 1-10 and make sure you can reach the lands. Being able to reach the lands with the 95 Berger will shove the long 105s way down in the case and when you want to stretch the gun out to 600 yards with a big 100 grain bullet you are going to be short on velocity because of the short throat meaning a reduced case capacity.

I burned two tanks of gas to get a box of 95 grain bergers before a match only to find that the freebore and the 1-10 twist would not stabilize them. They were completely sideways at only 50 yds and I could not find the paper at 100. JB1000BR got a free box of bullets off of that. All I got was an education in bullet design and barrel twist.

If it was me, just shooting at deer, which is what I mainly do, then the 1-10 is great for deer bullets. If I was going to double up and try to shoot the 95 bergers and Big A-Max's plus deer bullets then I would go to a 1-9 or 8 twist and be very particular about the throat length.

Ol'Mike ,
I have a 9 inch twist in mine and it will stabilise the 95 gn Berger . Trouble is that this pill doesn't like to be driven at the velocities a .243 AI is capable of . Accuracy has been very ordinary in my rifle at 3200 - 3300 with a variety of powders and seating depths . Apparently it is ok at 3150 or less but that doesn't interest me .
I would go with an 8" twist if doing it again as this would give me the flexibility to shoot 105 to 107 gn projectiles . Most seem to think the 107 Sierra is the best 6mm VLD .
My 9 twist also shoots the 55gn Nosler very well so wouldn't be too worried about accuracy with light pills and fast twist . Fiftydriver reported similar things with an 8" 6mm/'06 from memory .
Be aware that VLD's are generally too long to fit into magazines of short Rem. 700's if that's what you are using .

Ol'Mike,

Our Dennis at work built a 243AI, 26" barrel on an RPA quadlite repeater. For medium range target(600 yds) and fox control work. He shoots anything from the 107's to the 70'ish grain bullets thru an 8 twist 5r barrel..

I might be prone to suggest slightly faster than 10 twist for the 95+ grain bullets, but some of the lighter 6mm varmint bullets are a tad thin skinned to drive at too fast an RPS...9 would be a good start to cover the lot, IMHO..

JR

Thank you for the info guys,the gun will see 95% of its duty shooting praire dogs that a factory 22-250 savage can't reach.
The plastic tip varmint bullets- -70 to 87gr should reach them well enough at 500-600 yards.The wind keeps the dogs semi- safe at those ranges with the 22-250.

If this doesn't cut the mustard the 6.5-284 is the next step.And if that don't cut it >>>>270 AM >>Will.Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts