Little help with a 8ish lb 280AI.

lovdasnow

ok, I think i finally narrowed down the caliber i'm going with. the 280ai is going to get the nod for a lightish weight build. I've got a 13lb 338-378 and a 6.5x47, so i've been wanting a good long range easier to carry gun.

what i'm looking to do. 8ish pounds finished weight. repeater. 800yds and in on deer sized game. want a 24" barrel. and would like to run a 2.5-10x32 NF NXS, or 4.5-14 leupold with turrets. .

couple questions.
do i need a wyatts mag box for best results with 168vld's?
trying to figure out what a rem 700 LA weighs? anyone know?

just looking for your input.

thinking of light weight manners or mcmillan edge.
the 700 action will probably get worked over to lighten it a bit.
not sure what contour barrel to run?
was thinking a 3 or 4 contour, fluted. your thoughts? i don't want it pencil thin, but i also don't want it too heavy? i don't have much experience with thinner contours at all, in regards to problems with accuracy??

anyway, would love your input/experience to hlep me finish up this build in my head, and get these parts ordered. thanks again.

Ur gonna like the 280AI. I'm running the 168's seated .010 INTO the lands and have no issues w/ factory bdl magazine box. RE 22 & 2950 fps is lights out accurate! I run 140;s right at 3250. I have a 26" Bartlein #6 (similiar to a Lilja #7)w/ no flutes & a vias brake, HS precision. Haven't actually weighed it but it's NOT a light weight.....the HS is weighty! Lilja doesn't recommend flutes on anything smaller than #7...your call there.

Good luck. It's a killer!
ps.....I tried the Cabelas Kwik Clip....no go in my gun. The mags wouldn't feed reliably. Saving the shekels for a Wyatts or Badger. ONLY cuz I shoot tactical matches sometimes and need the dbm capability.

I will take possession of my 280 AI in a couple of weeks. I have a Krieger 5.5 25.5" barrel fluted, a Timberline Action, NF 5.5 X 22 Scope & a McMillan Lazzeroni thumb-sporter stock. After weighing everything, I think this gun will weigh in around 12 Ibs. I'm not sure how to get it down to 8 Ibs. I agree with the last poster, Krieger only recommends fluting a barrel 5.5 or larger. I can't wait to join the 280 AI crowd!

thanks for the info on mag length not being a problem. ya, it's easy to get to 10lbs plus real quick. I'll keep working on it though. i didn't know about the 5.5 min on fluting.

thanks guys for your input. and also your info on your loadings

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.