Help with 280ai build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by nctta, Oct 28, 2013.

1. nctta

nctta Well-Known Member

Going to build a 280ai and have decided on fluted Brux#4, because i have it already...for rest what would you suggest?

Action. Stiller, Pierce, other
    Stock. A3 sporter, Gamescout, other
    Trigger. Timney or Jewel
    Bottom Metal. Box or Hinged Floor plate
    Muzzle break. ? But I want it removable with optional thread protector

Thanks

2. ogreshooter

ogreshooter Well-Known Member

OK, well, budget is first. What is your top end, and what should that budget include?
    Does that budget include: action, stock, trigger, bottom metal, scope, reloading supplies?

For me, I would build a Remington 700 action. Yes, the custom actions are cool, but a decent smith can build the Remington 700 every bit as accurate as a clone.

Stock, I prefer an HTG style stock for hunting purposes. McMillian or Manners, take your pick.

Trigger, Timney all the way to the back and taxidermist/butcher.

Bottom metal: bdl everyday of the week.

Muzzle break? Depends on the overall weight of the rifle. But a Vias would do the trick nicely.

Thanks

Jason Klein
    Grim Reaper Tactical
    541-281-0011

3. nctta

nctta Well-Known Member

I don't really have a budget in mind. I figure the action is $1000, stock $500, barrel flutted and fitted $700, Trigger $200,break $150, $300 is on Bdl setup, scope, rings, bases $1000...so I figure im in the $3700-4000 ball park

4. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Pierce actions. I don't think you can go wrong with one. That said, I don't hear of many complaints surrounding any of the top-tier actions.

I have a fairly light set-up in 280 AI, and I have found the recoil surprisingly mild. I have not once wished it wore a brake. I have an un-braked 300WSM that I have grown to hate shooting, because it pounds me and i flinch like a little girl, so it is safe to say I am not amazingly recoil tolerant.

For a trigger, I don't think you can beat a Jewell. I have an M70 with a Timney and it is a nice trigger -BUT- my personal preference is Jewell and its not even close.

Stock and bottom metal are IMO a personal preference thing. Try out some different stocks and see what style you prefer.

Good luck with your build!