Limbsaver Recoil Pad, Good or Bad?

Elkaholic Hunter

Previously Ian Wargo
I have a Fierce a Fury chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a Limbsaver recoil pad. I've shot it with a brake as well as suppressed and I have issues spotting my shots. Question is, is the Limbsaver recoil pad partially to blame? Seems like having a butt pad that is squishy isn't necessarily something that would make it easier to spot your shots.
Not saying my form can't be the culprit but I feel like I have a fair understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship, so form aside, has anyone seen their ability to spot their impact diminished after installing a Limbsaver vs a traditional harder rubber pad?

I love the Limbsavers. I should not think this is your problem. What distance are you trying to spot your shots? Does the rifle return to natural point of aim after the shot? Are you shooting off a bipod or bags? A little more info may help members answer your question. I struggle with my form a lot and know there is a vast difference between what is typical and when I'm actually doing everything right. I still shoot well, but things like spotting my shots have more to do with my form than my hardware.

I have a Fierce a Fury chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a Limbsaver recoil pad. I've shot it with a brake as well as suppressed and I have issues spotting my shots. Question is, is the Limbsaver recoil pad partially to blame? Seems like having a butt pad that is squishy isn't necessarily something that would make it easier to spot your shots.
Not saying my form can't be the culprit but I feel like I have a fair understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship, so form aside, has anyone seen their ability to spot their impact diminished after installing a Limbsaver vs a traditional harder rubber pad?
The biggest problem is see in spotting your shots is the caliber in question

7mm Rem Mag

The biggest problem is see in spotting your shots is the caliber in question
Totally agree with Bill on this one.
If you can do 50 'clappers', 50 sit-ups and 20 pull-ups in a 20 minute span, then you might legitimately consider the limbsaver to be the source of the problem. ;)

Have soft LSs on all my rifles and shotguns...awesome performance...
As to sticky melting....that is usually from be wiped down with an oily rag or gun solvents....had my experience....soapy water if needed....

I love the Limbsavers. I should not think this is your problem. What distance are you trying to spot your shots? Does the rifle return to natural point of aim after the shot? Are you shooting off a bipod or bags? A little more info may help members answer your question. I struggle with my form a lot and know there is a vast difference between what is typical and when I'm actually doing everything right. I still shoot well, but things like spotting my shots have more to do with my form than my hardware.

I have issues between the 500-800 yd range. If I'm shooting 1000 or beyond the rifle usually recovers and I can spot my impact. As stated by others, a 7 rem mag pushing a 180 Berger over 2900 is not going to make this super easy. I shoot off of a Harris bipod with a rear bag. Right now I have a Gunwerks 6IX Suppressor up front. I totally hear you on the form comments, I work hard to get proper body to rifle alignment, bipod preload, shooting hand pull straight back into my shoulder all while maintaining a natural point of aim. Doesn't always happen and I can tell when I've made a mistake. The rifle is an absolute tack driver, but I am not a huge fan of the stock. You can see in the photo below there is a significant vertical separation between the centerline of the bore and top of the butt pad. I have shot other rifles with a manners style stock where the butt pad is more in line with the centerline of the bore and this has made it exponentially easier to spot my impacts. The offset in my stock creates a moment arm causing the rifle to want to rotate up when fired. I am just wondering if this is exaggerated by the squishy Limbsaver butt pad or if that is in my head. I'm ok with people telling me it is my form, but if there is something in my setup that is adding to the issue I'm just trying to vet that.
Capture.PNG

You may have something there with the stock design and its relatively light rifle for what your shooting. Any experience with a similar caliber in a different stock design. As you said, it may not be easy and if your at the edge of capability, everything has to be perfect. Let us know if you find the "secret".

I'm not saying this is the issue, just something to think about. When guys say they are shooting prone and having a hard time spotting impacts (at anything over a few hundred yards/meters) I usually say it's a fundamental issue (position/npa). When firing a light rifle those issues get magnified, when firing a heavier recoiling cartridge those issues get magnified, when firing a heavy recoiling light rifle... good luck, if you're not doing everything right.
Also helps if you're not using a 32x (high magnification) scope.🤔

I'm not saying this is the issue,

I know. But if the thread stays up long enough someone will blame the Limbsaver for Krakatoa!

I have had mine on a Savage 7MM Magnum and it has been great.

My only issue with Limbsaver pads is that they turn into a sticky mess after several years. Makes a mess of your safe carpet, collects all kinds of debris in the field and sticks to your coat. I'll never buy another one.

The new gen pads have no mess of plasticizer coming out of the pad but they've only been out a few years. Polyurethanes have come a long way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.