Lija barrels question

I only asked this just because someone here is telling his customers that is what happened to his gun and to 10-15 other ones. I feel something fishy and figured that if there was one way or the other the truth will surface.
Rumors are like noseeums. Not a damned thing you can do about them and they are a PITA to track down.

If Dan got a bad batch of barrels I'm sure he's figured it out and would make it right.

Probably I was just wanting to hear the same thing from these other 10-15 customer builds. I always believe dan makes great barrels, but was unaware of the shilen problems until now as well.

The story is that when Ed Shilen left and his son Doug took over, the quality of the barrels diminished overall. I got my first 2 at the time of the transition so I think I lucked out. Then, my most recent Shilen came after Doug was no longer involved (is what I was told). I have zero evidence to verify the story but it sure seemed to be the common rumor from lots of people.

I accepted an offer from a barrel broker on another forum who got me two Shilen barrels at $200 each after shipping when I had written about the stories I had HEARD. He told me I was full of sh_t in a private message and on the forum and that Shilen would out shoot any other barrel. I reminded him I was very pleased with the 2 I had but they predated the alleged lowered quality. The barrel is a 280 Remington now and it shoots very well and did so right out of the gate.

I just got word that a person has had something like 10-15 barrels go bad that were lija. To me this just does not seem right, and there should be some info here if that is the case. I guess the guns are losing accuracy because the barrels are to soft? I just think I am going to call dan and ask him. This is truly b.s. right?

And what did you find out after the call, so this can be put to rest.

Cheers

I have several Lilja barrels along with Broughton, Bartlein, Obermeyer, and Benchmark. I have never had or seen a bad Lilja.I ordered 5 barrels at once from Mr. Lilja and when they were shipped , there was a note that they had to remake one. That barrel came in shortly there after. I was really happy that they cared enough about their customers to not ship a barrel that did not meet their requirements. Most makers will replace a bad barrel, but it is much better to receive a good one from the start. Gary Campbell

From a barrel makers perspective its best to call and find out, speculations just suck!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I did just get a call back from Dan. All the bad barrels that are supposed to be there is one that is fouled completely up. If there is any other than one then he has never heard of them yet. The barrel that is fouled bad is going to possibly be lapped and if looks good will be returned. That was from him as a few minutes ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.