Lightweight scope recomedations

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by mtelkhntr78, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

Anyone have anybody have a suggestion on a good lightweight scope? I see Leupold has the "Ultralight" scopes available. Any experience with these light optics? I am thinking up the build of a lightweight back pack gun and I dont have alot of experience with optics in the lightweight department. Any other choices folks have had good luck with? I have several Zeiss conquests I Love and a couple Luepolds I am happy with as well. I am very familiar with good rifle optics I just am trying to find what the best/lightest??

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I have always been happy with my Leupold scopes and the Nikons as far as optics
    and weight.

Burris makes some nice scopes at a reasonal price but they are a bit heaver.

Look at the different scopes at SWFA and look up the specs on each some of the very
    best scopes are heavy 3 or 4 lbs and hurt in saving weight.

Leupold also makes a titanium ( Very light ) but it is expensive.

Also the size of the glass (40mm,44mm,50mm and 56mm) get much heaver as you go
    up in size.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009

3. Dewey

Dewey Member

I have shot Leupies for over 40 years and use a lot of them on my mountain rifles (not really much use for any other kind here in BC). I have also bought four Zeiss Conquests over the past year or so and am VERY pleased with these, all in all; I consider them the best value in a really sound hunting scope.

But, I am pulling one off my P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt.-.270Win. in it's blind magazine Micky Hunter's Compact Edge stock and going with a Swarovski AV-3x9 due to it's roughly 1/4 lb. lesser weight.

I consider the Swaro rather over-priced, but, it is the best truly light scope I have shot with and this rifle is my "go-to" alpine one, with every little tweak I can use in a dependable crf rifle.I will be at 7 lbs. all up then and find lighter rifles are too hard to hold steady at 62, so, this is it.

I have a Brno 21/22 action, Recknagel trigger, Krieger ltwt. bbl., Micky Edge stock blank and am waiting on a 3-pos. safety by Satterlee from a bud in the States. This will be a custom .280Rem. with Recknagel rear peep and front post and bottom metal, a converted FN item; it should go about 7 lbs. and will also wear a Swaro AV-3x9. This is my all-time favourite "standard" cartridge with handloads and I am saving my nickels to have Ralf Martini build it for me.

So, I think this Swaro is the one, but, they are a h*ll of a price and only you can really determine whether that is worthwhile for YOU, relative to the cost of a Leupy VXIII. I have a 2.5x8 on my other Brno 21 .280R and have had a couple more of these and they ARE a good scope, no BS. Have fun choosing, it's all part of the enjoyment of hunting!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. akrange

akrange Well-Known Member

Swaro AV 's for their optical performance and their Light Weight.. If you look around people are dumping them at very good prices...

AK

5. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

AK,
    Thanks for the advice! I found a couple of Swaros that weigh in right at about 11 oz that I really like. I never gave Swaro a thought quite honestly, I always had it in my head that they were way, way out of my price range. The AV line has some pretty competative prices to Leup and Zeiss. I am keeping my eyes ope for a good deal now!
    M

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

I use a Kahles 3-9x40 with the TDS reticle. Swarovski also has the TDS.

BH

7. Black Stim

Black Stim Member

Not sure what your price range is, but Schmidt and Bender Summit scopes based on 1" tubes (announced at the 2009 SHOT show) might be worth a look. As far as I know, no specs are available yet, but I can't imagine their optics being anything other than amazing, but in a lighter 1" tube package. I would think they should be lighter than their 34 or 30mm tube counterparts.

8. akrange

akrange Well-Known Member

I agree .. I've own a number of the SB's and their Heavy for a Mountain type Rifle.. Bright and Clear Glass.. If they do come out with a lighter scope I'll be in line to check them out ...
    AK

9. hekin.308

hekin.308 Member

For a true LW I would suggest a Leupold 4X. CamerLand has a heck of a sale going on a Pentax 4x but I am not sure what it weighs....

10. Scenter

Scenter New Member

I'll add my vote for the Swaro. I use a Blaser, so I'm able to use a rail mount. The Swaro AV 3-10X42 SR w/ TDS is the ticket for me. Having said that, I'm glad I tuned in in time to hear about the new S&B line.:)

11. autgrs

autgrs New Member

Night force 2.5-10x32 (19 ounces)

12. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is 18.7 ounces... I have one on my rifle, never had to re-zero even getting bounced to hell in the back of the truck or UTV... For $300 u cant really go wrong, pretty clear, its no Nightforce though....

13. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

I have a leupold ultralite 3-9X33, 9 ounces. Optics are not as good as a VX3/ziess/S&B..etc. although they are onpar with the better nikon/bushnell scopes. At 400 bucks you can't expect top end features. It all depends on your budget. Also instead of a rail/ring or standard leupold rings try a set of talley alluminum one piece ring/base (2.5 ounces), at about half the weight of the standard leupolds.

14. Pigeon

Pigeon Member

I have a Swarovski PV-N 3-12x50 on my lightweight rifle - and it is mounted with a scopemount, made from Titanium...

works superb and whole rifle weights just 3,1 kg with everything. Rem 700 Titanium in .30-06

Titan-Montagen - Titanium Gunworks

[​IMG]